Lisa Marie Lewis
- Age: 25
- | She/her/hers, They/them/their
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
If we do not critique, criticize, and change problematic institutions, who will? Let's use our privilege, platforms, and power to design a more equitable future.
- Lisa Marie Lewis
Lisa Marie Lewis is an activist who is passionate about promoting equity, inclusion, and intersectionality. She is currently working toward a Master of Social Science in Development, Security, and Sustainability and a Research Assistant at Western Sydney University. Her Master’s thesis was based on Australian Nationhood, National Identity, and Democracy. Lisa has experience in project delivery, primary research, drafting policy, and conducting evaluations. She is a vocal supporter of LGBTIQUA+, people of color, and women’s empowerment movements. Lisa serves on many boards and committees with topics ranging from health to human rights, gender empowerment, climate change, and local government planning. She is always looking for innovative ways to create change and new people to collaborate with.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
As I began to learn about the historical, cultural, and contextual nature of discrimination, I became passionate about reducing inequality. I want to live in an equal world, and I am prepared to advocate for that.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
My biggest achievement has been creating a community of young women of color who are ready to speak out against injustices. Having a network of activists has been vital to the success of our movements.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I have come to enjoy vegetable gardening, reading non-fiction, and watching trashy TV.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- inclusion and diversity
- importance of evidence-based practice
- initiating grassroots activism
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Humanitarian Affairs: University Scholars Leadership Symposium from UN Thailand
- ActionAid: Become a Community Leader for Change!
- Youth Action NSW (peak body): Young Women's Leadership Program & Media Training
- Western Sydney Community Forum: Generation Community Blacktown Woman of the Year Award
- Outstanding Youth Leader of Greater Western Sydney Award
- Western Sydney University Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Engagement and Sustainability
- Multicultural NSW Community Medal Finalist (Youth)