- Age: 32
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Gender inequality is, unfortunately, still a reality that continues to permeate various social, economic, cultural, political, and structural spheres. The violence against girls and women is the strongest and most evident expression of it. We have a commitment to end this and build more inclusive and pacific societies.
- Erika Yamada
Erika Yamada was born and raised in Mexico. She has a Master’s Degree in Human Rights from the National Human Rights Commission and a Bachelor’s Degree in Pedagogy from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. As States and Projects Coordinator at Equidad de Género, Ciudadanía, Trabajo y Familia AC, Erika is responsible for coordinating projects with a gender perspective and supervision of activities of a national network for sexual and reproductive rights, accompanying girls and women victims of violence and in abortion situation, serving as a spokesperson in the media on issues related to women’s rights, and planning and developing working strategies and workshops about human rights. As Co-founder of Colectiva Digna Hijas, she is an activist for women’s rights, participating in public demonstrations and inter-institutional activities for the eradication of gender-based violence against women.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
I have the conviction that we have a social and ethical responsibility towards all girls and women who experience the consequences of inequality and gender-based violence that permeates Mexico and takes so many lives every day.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I work in rural and indigenous communities by reaching girls and women who do not have access to healthcare and education services. I have implemented projects to inform them about their human rights, developed workshops about gender, sexual and reproductive rights, and women's empowerment, and channeled them to health services.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy watching series and movies, partying with friends, visiting family, spending time with my dogs and cat, and eating good and hearty meals.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Spanish (Advanced/Native)
- Japanese (Elementary)
- safe abortion in Mexico
- GBV against indigenous girls and women
- abortion as a human right
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Youth Award in the category of Promotion and Defense of Human Rights by the Youth Institute in Mexico City (2019)
- Gender and Sexuality: Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace course by University of Pittsburgh
- Sexuality... Much More Than Sex course by University of Los Andes
- Strengthening the Directive Capacities of Civil Society Organizations course by LINC and Fondo Unido México through USAID
- I Know Gender: An Introduction to Gender Equality for UN staff by UN Women
- The ABC of Equality and Nondiscrimination by the National Council to Prevent Discrimination (CONAPRED Mexico)