- Age: 28
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Female empowerment is a collective responsibility that requires the effort and advocacy of everyone: men and women. You can start in your home by ensuring your girl child has access to quality and higher education.
- Vida Agyeman
Vida Agyeman was born and raised in Ghana. She received a Bachelor of Science in Biological Science from Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in 2017. As a Fellow at Lead For Ghana, Vida is responsible for mentoring girls, organizing the adolescent health club, establishing effective and safe classroom culture, coaching students in confidence building, planning and implementing science lessons, community and stakeholder engagement, and writing funding proposals for school projects.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
My pursuit for gender equality started at a tender age, triggered by rules at my church concerning women's behavior and appearances. I was angry at how everyone expected women to be quiet and not voice their thoughts, feelings, or cries. It was as if my traditional African society was ordering women to disappear and be nonexistent. My early knowledge about the struggles and challenges of just being born female has given me the passion and hunger to help other young girls develop tough skins and challenge society.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I spearheaded a menstrual education campaign that educated girls in the Takuve Community School where I teach and collaborated with local foundations to provide free menstrual cups for the girls to end menstrual poverty and increase female attendance rates in the school.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I love making dresses and other DIYs during my spare time.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- economic empowerment
- barriers and access to education for students in rural areas in Africa
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Emerging Leaders Program Certification by YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa
- Global Citizenship Education Certification by Global Citizenship Education and Asia Pacific Center of Education for International Understanding
- Becoming Global Citizens For a Sustainable Society Course
- Alumna of Young Africans Leadership Initiative West Africa
- Lead for Ghana Fellow
- Mentoring Women Walk Ghana Alumna