- Age: 29
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Every time I step out of my house, fully aware and assertive of my identity, I am making a political statement, I am rebelling against the oppressive system, I am standing up for what I believe in — and this is what I want everyone to believe. Every small step is a step towards change and towards a better future. We all are a movement.
- Varuni Narang
Varuni Narang was born and raised in India. She received a Master of Arts in Psychosocial Human Studies from Ambedkar University, Delhi in 2019. As a Communications Program Officer at Centre for Catalyzing Change, Varuni is responsible for establishing an online presence for the organization, building a brand image and continuity across all media, handling social media platforms, website management, and content creation. Through this work, she creates awareness on issues that girls and women face in India by leveraging digital platforms and using them for fundraising. Varuni has also started an online platform called Voice Out to create a safe space for people to share their stories and to create awareness on mental health. Additionally, Varuni is currently learning production and studio work.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
From choices in clothing to choices in career, every step a womxn takes is a political statement for or against gender notions. This is what ignited my pursuit for gender equality.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
Owing my own experience with mental health issues as a teenager, I have spent the last few years understanding what young people need in order for their mental health to be recognized and addressed. I am currently working towards building a plan to highlight the need for adolescents and young people to be able to accept the requirements and needs for their good mental health, especially considering the idea of toxic masculinity and femininity associated with seeking help.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I am learning to play the sitar. I like to read, spend time with animals, sometimes at various animal shelters. I like to make art and spend rainy days outside.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Hindi (Advanced/Native)
- dismantling the patriarchy
- millennials and mental health
- self-love and body positivity
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Theater-in-Education Training Program with Atelier Theater Group
- Graduation Degree in English (Honors) from Delhi University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Advertising and Marketing from XIC Mumbai
- Master of Arts in Psychosocial Human Studies from Ambedkar University Delhi
- President of Delhi University's Theater Society
- Member of Delhi University's Student's Union
- Merit-based Scholarship Recipient
- National Eligibility Test Certificate for assistant professorship
- Youth Delegate, YOUNGA 2021