- Age: 28
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
It's high time that we work collectively to challenge and question the social structure that is promoting the stigma and denial of sexual and reproductive health and rights and comprehensive sexuality education for young people.
- Pushpa Joshi
Pushpa Joshi was born and raised in Nepal. She received a Bachelor of Social Work from Kadambari Memorial College, Purbanchal University in 2017. As a Core Team member at YoSHAN, Pushpa is responsible for engaging in the planning of activities, coordinating the activities, communication and documentation, and designing and facilitating workshops. She also represents the network in various advocacy forums, putting forward the issue of young people’s sexual and reproductive health rights as the priority issue. Additionally, Pushpa is a board member at Social Changemakers and Innovators, Youth Champion at Asia Safe Abortion Partnership, member at Inroads, and general member at LOOM.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
At the age of 15, I joined a local youth club in my hometown where I was inspired by young women who were talking about issues of gender and SRHR with great enthusiasm. Through the club, I had opportunities to work with diverse communities. I became inspired by the stories of women in difficult circumstances, further motivating me to continue advocacy for the health and rights of women and young people.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
The young girls and women who I trained and mentored on sexuality and SRHR are now working as community leaders, initiating campaigns against harmful practices pertinent in their community such as HIV stigma and child marriage. They are also implementing the learnings in their life by negotiating marriage with their parents, discussing contraceptives with their partners, and inspiring other young girls in their community. I consider this as one of my greatest achievements as an advocate for gender equality.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy listening to music, hiking, trekking, cooking, reading books, watching movies, photography, and stargazing.
- Nepal Bhasa (Advanced/Native)
- Nepali (Advanced/Native)
- English (Intermediate)
- Hindi (Intermediate)
- Young People are not beneficiaries, we are the Agents of Change
- Comprehensive Sexuality Education is Right to Information; Denial is Discrimination:
- Menstrual Discrimination Practices and its Effects on Psychological Well-being of Young Women
- The decision I made four years ago (a digital story about abortion)
- safe abortion rights
- child marriage
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Sexuality, Gender and Rights Institute: Exploring Theory and Practice by CREA, LOOM, and WHR Nepal
- Youth Refresher Institute for Safe Abortion Advocacy from Asia Safe Abortion Partnership
- Training of Trainers: Facilitating Reproductive Health Classes for Young Women from Ipas
- Training of Trainers on Peer Education from Y-PEER
- Peer Educator/Facilitator on SRHR in Post Humanitarian Settings during Nepal Earthquake 2015 under 'Youth Leads in Emergency' Project from UNFPA Nepal
- Restless Development Nepal and Y-PEER Nepal