- Age: 27
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
There has never been a more suited time in history for young people to advocate for and implement social and political change. With so many consequential issues threatening our future, there has also never been a time where such efforts are more needed. Yours, mine, and everyones.
- Ossama Alwash
Ossama Alwash was born and raised in Iraq. He received a Bachelor of Dental Surgery from Babylon University in 2018. Ossama is President of Babylon Toastmasters.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
I believe there is a pressing need to address major gender-specific issues, both locally and globally, since I have witnessed firsthand just how pervasive and destructive they are and how there are little efforts made to tackle them.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I managed to secure funding and support of the UN Alliance of Civilization and Iraqi Al-Amal Association, as well as a number of local NGOs, to implement the first long-term Intergenerational Dialogue project in Iraq with a special focus on gender issues in a safe and open environment.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
My interests are tech, theology, politics, anthropology, anything STEM, or any other subject granted that it’s not sports. I like to read and keep myself informed about world affairs and how the world works. I also love to cook, travel, and camp.
- Arabic (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- French (Elementary)
- modern leadership model and effective leadership
- individual and group identity dynamics
- systemic corruption and conflict
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- UNAOC Young Peacebuilders Program
- Certificate of Completion from Meridian International for Participating in the Iraqi Young Leaders Exchange Program
- Completed Training of the Hiwarona Project by Iraqi Al-Amal Association
- Certificate of Recognition from the U.S. Embassy of Baghdad - Public Affairs
- Global Peace Chain Ambassador for Iraq