- Age: 24
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Every day, the world faces the same challenges from deficient healthcare services and poverty to unheard voices and gender biases. Our empathy is not enough. Educative platforms empowering the underprivileged is the foundation of executing real solutions. Together we live, together we connect, together we fight, together we win.
- Mario Rizk
Mario Rizk was born and raised in Egypt. He is currently working toward a Bachelor of Medicine at Newgiza University. Mario is an SDGs Advocate at the United Nations Resident Coordinator’s Office in Egypt, Representative of the External Affairs Committee of the youth-led regional platform on sustainable development at League of Arab States, President of Newgiza Rotaract club, President of Newgiza University Student Union, and member at the International Movement of Catholic Students.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
I am eager to fight for gender equality because I was privileged in being brought up by an empowered mother and a good physician as well, which reflected on my view of the world and empowered me in return. I believe that every child should grow up having the same opportunity.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
As the president of Newgiza University Student Union for two consecutive years, as well as Roteract club, I ensured that my team would have equitable representation for women. Leadership opportunities were provided to my fellow female colleagues to strengthen their decision-making power and promote their effective participation in the public life. Together, with the help of my team, we successfully arranged several awareness campaigns about sexual harassment and domestic violence against women. As an official representative of the planning ministry for the Sustainable Development National Agenda 2030, I advocated for implementing sound policies that ensured an inclusive, equitable political life, non-discriminatory, safe, and welcoming environment for women and youth. Together, with my colleagues, we can proudly say that our collaborative work has contributed to a number of active women ministers in the government.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I am really interested in cinema and drama. I love watching and criticizing movies and series. I used to act in some plays when I was younger. Now, I am organizing the first vertical film festival in Egypt, Revart Film Festival. I am a football fan. I enjoy watching premier league, Spanish league, and Egyptian league football matches. I love reading books, politics, playing guitar. I am learning French, and I also have my daily routine of workouts.
- Arabic (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- male engagement in family planning
- role of birth spacing on maternal and child health
- gender pay gap
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- First-ever Egyptian Undergraduate Youth Delegate in the Official Egyptian Delegation at the United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum (2019)
- Becoming Global Citizens for a Sustainable Society Course by GCED co-organized by the Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding and Ban Ki-moon Centre for Global Citizens
- Global Health and Public Policy Elective Module at Newgiza University
- SDGs Advocacy Training Workshop at the UN Resident Coordinator Office in Egypt
- Fundraising Strategies for Community Service Projects Workshop at Children's Cancer Hospital Egypt
- Missing Women Phenomenon Workshop at Newgiza University
- Official Youth Representative at the Ministry of Planning and Economic Development for 2030
- Sustainable Development National Agenda in Egypt
- Representative of the External Affairs Committee of the Youth-led Regional Platform on Sustainable Development at League of Arab States
- Arab Development Council for Women and Business Certificate of Appreciation for Promoting Gender Equality
- Newgiza University Leadership Certificate of Appreciation for serving as the President of Newgiza University Student Union