- Age: 27
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
We, young people, are the one who knows what young people really need to protect ourselves and fulfill our potential. Our voice matters, in all sectors, at all levels.
- Kazuko Fukuda
Kazuko Fukuda is originally from Japan and currently lives in Sweden. She is working toward a Master of Public Health in Health Equity from The University of Gothenburg. Kazuko is a member of The World Association for Sexual Health Youth Initiative Committee, I LADY Activist at International NGO JOICFP, and an editorial board member of the Japanese Foundation for Sexual Health Medicine.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
From my life in Japan where gender inequality is high and knowledge about the history of Japanese sex workers, I have realized how hard it is for women to not be able to decide over her body and life. I want to change it. This is my motivating power.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
Since 2018, I have started an SRHR advocacy movement called #Nandenaino project, which means, #Whydontwehave project in Japanese. One of the biggest achievements we made is legalizing online counseling to get a prescription of emergency contraception last year by conducting research, an online signature campaign, and advocacy towards doctors and politicians.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
Japanese traditional dance and costume, playing ukulele, cooking, and hiking.
- Japanese (Advanced/Native)
- Swedish (Elementary)
- Kazuko's articles
- A Study on the Possibility for Authorization of Unapproved Modern Contraceptives Considering from Approval Process of Contraceptive Pill in Japan: Toward better Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Women Living in Japan
- Declaration on Sexual Pleasure by WAS (translation into Japanese)
- comprehensive youth-friendly SRHR services
- data accountability
- sex workers' rights and legal framework
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Women Deliver Advocacy Academy (2019)
- SheDecides Generation of Equality 25×25
- World Association for Sexual Health Youth Initiative Committee Member
- I LADY Activist at International NGO JOICFP
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship
- IPPF Youth at ICPD Nairobi