- Age: 23
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
The world now has more young people than ever before in human history. Today’s generation of young people is a major force for social, economic, and demographic change, and their meaningful participation at all levels is fundamental to creating a peaceful and prosperous society.
- Damilola Babatunde
Damilola Babatunde was born and raised in Nigeria. He is currently working toward his Bachelor of Pharmacy at the University of Ibadan. As the Founder and Executive Director of Young Changemakers Foundation, Damilola oversees the administration, programs, advocacy, communication, management, training, core operations — as well as design, development, and implementation of strategic plans — for the organization.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
I am an advocate for gender equality because I understand that peace and sustainable development cannot be achieved if women's rights are constantly being violated.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I co-organized a workshop on sexual and reproductive health and rights for over 600 young people in Ibadan, Nigeria. I was also part of an advocacy project known as "Raise Your Voice with Malala," which was supported by Nobel Laureate Malala Yousafzai. This project positively influenced thousands of people.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
Traveling, reading, visiting new places, meeting new people, and experiencing new cultures.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Yoruba (Advanced/Native)
- French (Elementary)
- Spanish (Elementary)
- domestic violence against women
- male engagement in gender equality
- violation of girls' rights (such as denial of access to education and forced early marriage)
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Girl Child Advocacy Training by Malala Fund and One Life Initiative
- Stand To End Female Genital Mutilation by Junior Chamber International and United Nations Population Fund
- Launching Breakthrough Technologies certification by HarvardX
- Positive Peace Academy by Institute for Economics and Peace in Australia
- Corruption and Good Governance: Challenges and Way Forward by American Anti-corruption Institute (AACI) USA
- United Nations Academic Impact Millennium Fellowship
- United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Generation Change Fellowship
- Global Health Workforce Network - Youth Hub of World Health Organization
- Each One Teach One by Campus Labs with support from IREX
- Founding Advocate at Our Generation for Inclusive Peace
- YOUNGA Delegate, 2021