- Age: 29
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Not all forms of abuse leave bruises. Until our society recognizes cyberbullying for what it is, the suffering of thousands of silent survivorswill continue.
- Agita Pasaribu
Agita Pasaribu was born and raised in Indonesia. She received a Master of Arts in International Relations – ASEAN Studies from University of Malaya in 2018 and a Bachelor of Laws in Criminal Law from University of Indonesia in 2014. As Founder and CEO of Bully.id, Agita is responsible for setting strategy and direction, modeling and setting the company’s culture, values, and behavior, building and leading the senior executive team, and allocating capital to the company’s priorities. Agita also serves as Indonesia’s Country Director for World Youth Summit and the UN Youth IGF Ambassador for Indonesia.
Additionally, she is an ITU Children Protection Online Expert member, WHO Global Youth Working Group on Digital and Mental Health member, Global Ambassador for Human Rights and Peace and Vice President for Women Empowerment Working Group at International Human Rights Advisory Council, International Women’s Committee at the IOSI-International Organization for Security and Intelligence member, and Humanitarian Affairs Working Group member at the UN Major Group for Children and Youth.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
At a previous workplace, I experienced sexual harassment. Back then, I was a new employee and had no one to speak to, as HR was not taking my complaint seriously. After deciding to leave the company, I reported the behavior to HR yet again, but no one took action to help me. This experience makes me stand up, as I believe I am not the only experiencing the same issue. Bully.id was founded based on my truth calling and provides confidential emotional support and legal assistance.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
Any actions or words with a sexual connotation that interfere with an employee's ability to work or create an uncomfortable atmosphere are considered sexual harassment. Sadly, not all countries and governments have comprehensive policies and are able to fully enforce laws on this issue. Bully.id has been advocated for by the UN IGF, ITU and WHO, and by being part of Women Deliver Young Leaders Program, I believe I will get more support from individuals who are working towards the same issue and collaborate with them on a global scale to fight against sexual harassment for women globally.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
In my spare time, I enjoy traveling and exploring different temples, cities, inheritances, and cultures.
- Bahasa Indonesia (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Malay (Advanced/Native)
- The Concept Development of the Criminal Acts of Social Violence Against Women in the Laws and Regulations of Indonesia
- Activating the Role of Youth
- The Implications of China’s Economy Development and the AEC (ASEAN Economic Community) 2015 for Indonesia’s Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- A Comparative Study of Open Data Policies: Lesson Learned from Indonesia’s and the Philippines’ Participations in Open Government Partnership
- mental health and law enforcement in cyber-bullying
- comprehensive digital literacy for young people
- girls' and women's rights to freedom of speech
- information and communications technology, education
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- ITU Children Protection Online Expert member (2019 – Present)
- WHO Global Youth Working Group on Digital and Mental Health (2019 – Present)
- Global Ambassador for Human Rights and Peace & Vice President for Women Empowerment Working Group at International Human Rights Advisory Council (2019 – Present)
- International Women’s Committee at the International Organization for Security & Intelligence (IOSI) (2018 – Present)
- Humanitarian Affairs Working Group member at the UN Major Group for Children & Youth (2015 – Present)
- Global Strategic Leadership Award “Social Cause Category” from the AAFT University of Media and Arts (2019)
- SDGs PIPE Awardee (November 2019)
- Top 10 of Asia and Starplanet (September 2019)
- Certificate Courses in Internet Governance by ICANN and CSUC funded by IBEI Scholarship (October 2018)
- TEDx Speaker at the TEDxTKMCE ‘’Experiencing Diversity’’ (August 2018)
- Southeast Asian Young Leader for IISS Shangri-La Dialogue (June 2017)
- Certificate Courses in Science and Technology Fully funded by JENESYS Program Scholarship (September 2014)
- Global Citizen Corps Indonesia Youth Training "Awareness + Action = Impact" by Mercy Corps International
- EUIPO-IP at Digital World Working Seminar
- Certificate Courses in Leadership and International Cooperation funded by Fred. J Hansen Fellowship Program Scholarship (June-July 2014)
- Indonesian Youth Representative for UNFPA-Global Youth Forum (December 2012)
- Indonesian Delegate for International Young Women’s Summit (July 2012)