Director, Finance & Administration
Location: New York City
Posted: January 2018
Priority Deadline: February 23, 2018 (applications will then be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze actions that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights, and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress particularly in gender equality and maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Summary of the Position:
In the new role the Director, Finance and Administration will report to the Chief Operating Officer and assume a pivotal role in the overall management and growth of Women Deliver. Women Deliver is in a period of growth both in budget and staff size.
The ideal candidate will have budgeting, financial planning, donor reporting and a strong accounting background. The Director will have knowledge of donor budgeting, compliance, controls and reporting (both US and Intl) and will be someone who can build financial models, gather the information necessary to project revenues and expenses, support long term planning efforts, understand accounting and reporting on past performance and how to integrate it into planning and budgeting.
This role also requires being comfortable speaking and presenting financial information to senior management and the Board. The Director must be someone who can write and speak clearly and make themselves understood by audiences with limited financial background and is happy and willing to do this. The ideal candidate will have previous experience working on a team that has been in high growth mode, at a nonprofit with significant international funding streams.
The Director has a dual role of safeguarding the financial integrity of Women Deliver, (keeping an eye on costs, maintaining cash flow, managing risks, and ensuring control mechanisms and office support systems are in place) and strategizing (advising and planning for the long-term growth and sustainability of Women Deliver and effectively communicating the budgetary implications of strategic decisions or directions to senior management and the board).
The Director will lead a team of 4 including 3 finance professionals: Senior Manager, Associate and Assistant and 1 operations professional: Office Administrator.
Expected projects for Year 1 in this role may include 1) examining the audit process, 2) upgrading to a paperless environment, 3) upgrading the accounting system, 4) refreshing financial controls and 5) moving to a costed work plan and budget in partnership with the Program teams.
- Oversees all areas of accounting and finance functions including general ledger, budgeting, accounting, reporting, planning and budgeting
- Leads the finance and administration team – currently 4 professionals
- Leads the team in the coordination and preparation of the annual budget, monthly closings and annual tax returns, estimates and audits
- Ensures conformance with US GAAP reporting and disclosure requirements; develops systems for working with foreign currency
- Ensures legal compliance and filings in all areas including fundraising, tax, retirement, insurance and contracts
- Partners with the Directors to monitor program activity for compliance with laws and regulations as required by the funding sources
- Responsible for budget design including budget narratives, monitoring and communicating financial status to appropriate program and fundraising staff, and at times directly with funding partners
- Reviews grants and sponsorships for financial implications
- Improves and implements systems for tracking and allocating restricted funds; including accounting software improvements and integration with fundraising database
- Develops and maintains internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for cash and credit management as well as ensures thorough documentation of all processes
- Coordinates and directs procurements, and investment activities and policies
- Provides leadership in the development of long-term financial objectives aligned with the strategic growth plan of Women Deliver
- Works with senior leadership on operational and programmatic issues as they arise and provides recommendations based on financial analysis of projections, cost identification and allocation, risk assessment, and revenue/expense analysis
- Monitors burn rate of grant funding in partnership with Directors – prepares quarterly estimates based on costed work plan
- Works with the Treasurer and attends board meetings as appropriate to provide a clear and accurate financial picture
- Evaluates and improves information technology infrastructure and systems– implementing new technologies to support key capabilities as required for future growth
- Oversees the office management function with includes purchasing, equipment, IT, backup, server management
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- Ten or more years of cumulative work experience in areas of financial planning, financial management, accounting, non-profit accounting and donor reporting
- Bachelors degree required; Master’s degree highly preferred in Business, Finance or Accounting
- CPA preferred
- Strong knowledge of accounting, IFRS, FASB and IRS
- Experience with international donor reporting
- Experience with Canadian entities preferred
- Experience with US and Intl grants and contracts and related compliance requirements
- Experience in budgeting and reporting in foreign currency; currency conversations
- Thorough understanding of General Ledger Systems
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, financial control setting and budget development
- Technology savvy, with experience overseeing information technology staff or vendors
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, the Board or outside partners and funders
- Experience with fund accounting, including managing time- and use-restricted funding streams
- Experience managing burn rates and cost budgeting required
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and other accounting software
- Proficiency in ADP, Concur and Salesforce preferred but not required
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- A truly collaborative personality with the ability to work cross functionally and articulate a point of view with a hands-on, positive, can-do attitude
- Comfort in working across time zones using video technology as a communications tool
- Passion for Women Deliver’s mission
- Must be able to work in the United States without Sponsorship