Senior Manager, Policy and Advocacy (Deliver for Good)
Location: New York City
Posted: September 2019
Priority Deadline: December 9 (rolling review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Women Deliver supports Deliver for Good, a global campaign that applies a gender lens to the Sustainable Development Goals and promotes 12 critical investments in girls and women to power progress for all. The campaign was launched at the global level in 2016, with national campaigns in Kenya and Senegal launched thereafter.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Manager of Policy and Advocacy leads the global Deliver for Good campaign. In this role, the Senior Manager designs and implements Women Deliver’s policy and advocacy strategic undertakings. The Senior Manager reports to the Managing Director of Policy and Advocacy.
- Manages the Deliver for Good campaign staff at Women Deliver to evolve, adapt, lead, and implement the global Deliver for Good campaign, strategy and work plan, in partnership with the Managing Director, Policy and Advocacy and with the Manager, Deliver for Good national campaigns.
- Responsible for managing the global campaign and liaising with the Advisory Group and coalition.
- Responsible to formulate, implement, monitor and revise strategies and work plans for the campaign at a global level, defining vision, strategic objectives, and milestones, to ensure timely completion of deliverables and achieve campaign goals and objectives.
- Works in close collaboration with the Manager, Deliver for Good national campaigns, to define strategies and identify synergistic opportunities between the global campaigns and national campaigns and approaches for Deliver for Good.
- Engages in ongoing policy debates and developments at the UN and global level as relevant to the Deliver for Good campaign, in order to identify and develop campaign opportunities.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight to develop and disseminate evidence and case studies related to the 12 investment areas of the Deliver for Good campaign.
- Cultivates members of Women Deliver’s Deliver for Good and Policy and Advocacy teams to foster in-house expertise around the 12 investment areas of Deliver for Good campaign.
- Contributes technical guidance and quality assurance on advocacy, communications, deliverables and policy work related to the global Deliver for Good campaign.
- Oversees advocacy outreach efforts including the development of evidence-based policy briefs, presentations, advocacy statements, toolkits, talking points, training materials, and responding to relevant advocacy moments with messages and materials related to the global Deliver for Good campaign.
- Oversees the production of a diverse range of communications materials including messaging documents, presentations, meeting notes, articles, op-eds, blogs, as well as web and social media content related to the global Deliver for Good campaign.
- Coordinates with Women Deliver’s communications, youth, external relations and broader Policy & Advocacy teams on the development of products, including web content, proposals, donor reports and more, as it relates to the global Deliver for Good campaign.
- Builds, expands, and maintains external relationships and partnerships with stakeholders from civil society, private and public organizations, national/international government sectors, and UN agencies that are relevant to the global Deliver for Good campaign and/or are campaign partners, allies, and supporters, in close coordination with other Women Deliver staff.
- Serves as liaison with global Deliver for Good campaign partners, allies, and supporters and high-level influencers.
- Represents and speaks on the global Deliver for Good campaign at meetings, events, conferences, and other relevant fora. Cultivates campaign partners to serve as campaign spokespeople.
- Leads and has demonstrated experience in the preparation of budgets, proposals, and donor reports related to the Deliver for Good campaign.
- Develops and implements monitoring, evaluation and learning efforts associated with the execution of the global Deliver for Good campaign strategy and work plan.
- Provides support to the Business Ally Network, the private sector engagement mechanism for the global Deliver for Good campaign, in partnership with Women Deliver’s External Relations team, including nurturing existing relationships and building new partnerships in support of the campaign.
- Oversee contracts and manages vendor relationships with contractors related to the execution of the global Deliver for Good campaign strategy and work plan.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide strategic planning efforts.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- BA/BS required in a related field such as public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, or human rights; Master’s highly preferred.
- 8-10 years of work experience, working with diverse cultures on international development or global health campaigns, including campaign and program management.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience leading teams on the design, management, execution, and monitoring of international advocacy campaigns, particularly in developing country contexts.
- At least 5 years of experience leading advocacy and communications campaigns using research, public events, media, and coalition-building.
- Strong organization and project management skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work independently while meeting tight deadlines.
- Ability to apply strategic and creative thinking, while being persistent, motivated, proactive, energetic, and detail-oriented.
- Superb writing and editing skills; professional communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences, cultures, and organizations to ensure productive partnerships.
- Ability to design and implement creative, analytical approaches to improve advocacy programs and projects.
- Expertise in and passion for gender equality, international maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Experience discerning sound research and translating dense research materials and technical content into material that is relevant and accessible for broader audiences.
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns in a developing country context, a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentations.
- Strong track record in managing and mentoring direct reports.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
- Strong proficiency in French is preferred.
- Must be able eligible to work in the United States, without sponsorship.