Senior Manager, Policy and Advocacy
Location: New York City/ Remote (US work authorization required)
Posted: March 19, 2021
Salary $100,000 to $115,000 + Full Benefits
Priority Deadline: April 9, 2021 (applications will then be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Manager, in this new role, serves as an external focal point for key Women Deliver policy partnerships, multilateral engagement, advisory committees, events, and the next Women Deliver Conference. The Senior Manager will lead in the development and advancement of policy strategies related to the following portfolio of issues: global health, health systems strengthening, the health workforce, universal health coverage, COVID-19 response and recovery with a gender lens, and gender-based violence. The Senior Manager is also expected to work with colleagues who work on other relevant topics related to gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights, women’s economic justice and rights, and the resiliency of women in climate action. The Senior Manager will report to Director of Policy and Advocacy and work with colleagues on the policy and advocacy team as well as with colleagues across the organization.
- Working alongside the Director of Policy and Advocacy and Manager of Policy and Advocacy to lead engagement with multilateral entities – particularly the UN system, OECD, G7, G20, World Bank, regional bodies – as well as bilateral governments. This includes leading on advocacy strategy and message development, reviewing political statements and collaborating with partners to mark-up and refine policy language and negotiated text for multilateral, regional, and bilateral meetings.
- Working alongside the Director of Policy and Advocacy, Women Deliver colleagues, and partners to support direct advocacy efforts with leaders from multilateral, regional, and bilateral entities on policy change and implementation. Serve as a representative of Women Deliver in key meetings.
- Working alongside the Director of Policy and Advocacy to review multilateral, regional, and bilateral strategy documents and guidelines; and providing technical input to adapt and enhance the strategies so they are gender transformative and include the perspectives of the communities the strategies and guidelines are designed to serve.
- Supporting the Director of Policy and Advocacy on the development and execution of multi-year and annual advocacy strategies and workplans that leverage policy windows to influence policy areas related to the Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.1
- Serving as an external focal point for key task forces and coalitions related to their portfolio of issues on behalf of Women Deliver and supporting the Director of Policy and Advocacy on the advisory roles on matters related to the Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.
- Maintaining, strengthening, and growing strategic partnerships with organizations, coalitions and/or alliances related the Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.
- Leading Women Deliver’s work at the global and regional levels in coalition building and engagement, as related to the Senior Manager portfolio of issues. Managing the day-to-day policy and advocacy work related to the Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues – including developing, implementing, and tracking policy and advocacy strategies and activities.
- Leading on the development and execution of policy and advocacy events related to key UN moments and other relevant multilateral and regional convenings.
- Leading in the strategy conceptualization, preparation and response to key advocacy moments and conferences, and policy windows, where Women Deliver is engaging that are related to Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.
- Supporting the Women Deliver conference planning on conference initiatives related to the work of the policy and advocacy team as well as the Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.
- Supporting Women Deliver’s advisory roles on matters related to Senior Manager’s portfolio of issues.
- Supporting in the development of donor proposal for funding, donor reports, and monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL).
- Working alongside colleagues to support Women Deliver’s transformation work to be an antiracist, diverse and inclusive organization; ensuring the values of the transformation is embedded in the organization and Women Deliver’s advocacy priorities and approaches; incorporating the transformation in their programs and in their own professional development; and supporting the changing culture of Women Deliver.
- Liaising closely with colleagues on the Policy and Advocacy Team and across other teams, including Deliver for Good, Youth Engagement Team, Communications Team, Conference Team, Finance Team, and Office of the President in the pursuit and execution of the activities outlined above.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- BA/BS required in related field such as public health, international development, international relations, gender studies, political science or human rights; Master’s degree highly preferred
- 8-10 years of experience in an NGO, UN agency, or similar organization on policy and advocacy initiatives or campaigns
- At least 4 years of experience working with multilateral, regional, and bilateral entities on policy and advocacy efforts
- Experience engaging with UN Major Groups and other stakeholders and other related civil society coalitions and networks preferred who engage in multilateral and regional processes.
- Experience on advocacy efforts with advocates and leaders from low- and middle-Income countries
- Expertise in topics related to global health with an emphasis on girls and women, gender equality, and human rights
- Experience working with donors and supporting grant proposals, grant reports and MEL
- Experience in building, maintaining and developing partnerships for advocacy preferred
- Private sector engagement experience preferred
- Experience working with diverse cultures and groups on global health and/or gender equality campaigns, programs, or initiatives
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Strong project management and coordination skills working across internal and external teams
- Strong experience and expertise in event planning and management
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently deliver excellent-quality work
- Ability to design and implement creative, analytical approaches to improve advocacy programs and projects
- Strong ability to demonstrate leadership, maturity, and judgement in communications and relationships with internal and external partners
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems
- Commitment to anti-racism, and a willingness and desire to embody anti-racism across all areas of work
- Strong language skills in French or Spanish preferred
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, as needed
- Must be eligible work in the United States without sponsorship (now or in the future).
Women Deliver is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
1 The Senior Manager will lead in the development and advancement of policy strategies related to the following portfolio of issues: global health, health systems strengthening, the health workforce, universal health coverage, COVID-19 response and recovery with a gender lens, and gender-based violence