Senior Manager, External Relations (Partnerships, Government, and Foundation Relations)
Location: New York City
Posted: October 2019
Priority Deadline: December 9 (rolling review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Manager, External Relations will serve as deputy of the department and team, reporting to the Managing Director, External Relations and work in close partnership and collaboration with all program teams, and key focal points within Finance & Administration, OOP/COO, and Legal Affairs. The Senior Manager will help support the organization’s priority to build and increase funding, utilizing a partnership approach. This is an especially exciting time at the organization, as we enter our strategic planning process, resulting in a refreshed strategic plan by summer 2020. This role will work to strengthen the organization’s ability to engage with and support prospective and current partners across all funding streams, with an emphasis on government and foundations and also including private sector and individual giving.
The Senior Manager will manage all funding submissions and stewardship efforts for all donor relationships. The Senior Manager will also manage the External Relations team day to day –providing overall project support, and ensuring alignment with work plans, fundraising plans, and, overall organizational priorities.
In addition to raising funds for Women Deliver’s ongoing programs, the Senior Manager will manage the effort to secure and steward grants and sponsorships for the Women Deliver conferences, hosted every three years.
As the External Relations team is expected to grow following the strategic planning process, another position linked supporting private sector and individual donors, will be considered, as well as enhanced conference/sponsorship support.
The Senior Manager will stay informed on funding trends and mechanisms and help socialize this information throughout the organization. This includes tracking and keeping abreast of funding and investments for girls and women to support Women Deliver’s advocacy efforts and that also benefit the larger community of initiatives – global and local – working to advance gender equality.
- Provide day to day oversight of the External Relations team – including as directed, specific stewardship of key institutional partners
- Manage processes for all submissions including concept notes, proposals and reports, ensuring multi-team processes are efficient, inclusive and timely, with the support of the Senior Associate, External Relations and in close collaboration with program focal points
- Engage with funding partners through all phases of the funding cycle and represent the organization as needed at meetings, conferences, events, etc.
- Lead the mapping of partners’ areas of interest, programs and priorities and develop cross-cutting frame or lenses that aligns these interests with the Women Deliver strategic plan
- Track funding gaps and with support of communications focal point, develop compelling and targeted collateral to promote and clearly outline funding opportunities
- Work with all program teams, using a program quality framework, to determine areas of investment within Women Deliver
- Working with Senior Director, Program Quality and Compliance, support the development of Results Based Management Frameworks in close collaboration with program teams
- Support efforts to build the capacity of program staff in program design, management and stewardship against program quality principles
- Draft and edit concept notes, funding proposals, letters of intent, reports and other written material specifically targeted for funders and partners
- Draft correspondence for partners from the Managing Director and other key senior staff and support overall engagement efforts
- Support the development of budgets, financial reports, and other key materials
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree highly preferred
- 8-10 years of work experience in globally focused non-profits or multilateral agencies, in similar roles
- Significant team management, program implementation, and fundraising experience required
- Experience in advocacy preferred
- Proven successful track record in managing major funding submissions and reports
- Understanding of gender equality and international development required as is experience building and supporting partnerships
- Experience working inclusively with team members to build results based management frameworks and theory of change principles
- Experience in institutional fundraising, ideally with the governments of Canada, Europe and/or large foundations
- Experience in private sector engagement and cross-sectoral collaboration preferred
- Experience in establishing and implementing ongoing stewardship programs and working in collaboration with program staff to execute preferred
- Experience conducting donor research – both related to major gifts/individual giving, institutional, foundations and private sector donors and overall donor landscapes preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills required, and a second language preferred
- Excellent attention to detail and excellence in project management
- Ability to thrive in high profile environments supporting key program ambassadors, dignitaries, and other honored people with maturity and discretion
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and conduct work independently
- Strong attention to detail and a track record of consistently delivering high-quality work
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems
- Strong skills using Microsoft Word and Excel, familiarity with Salesforce a plus
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed