Senior Communications Associate, Conference (Temporary/Contract)
Location: New York City
Posted: February 2019
Priority Deadline: 22 February 2019
Contract Period: March 2019 – June 2019 (4 months; potential to extend or move into perm. role)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of Position:
The Senior Communications Associate plays a significant role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s strategic communications for the Women Deliver 2019 Conference (June 2019, Vancouver) in alignment with the overall communications strategy of Women Deliver. This contract role reports to the Senior Manager, Communications.
- Working in close coordination with the communications and conference teams, contributes to and implements the conference communication plan for the WD2019 Conference.
- Organizes all conference sponsorship communication deliverables (branding, website content, onsite branding/marketing materials) working closely with the External Relations team. Acts as main Comms team liaison with External Relations team in regards to the conference.
- Supports Press Officer and outside Communications Firm in the selection, coordination, and onsite support of scholarship journalists at WD2019 Conference.
- Supports press conference strategy and onsite support at WD2019 Conference.
- Supports media credentialing and media matching strategy (conference content to appropriate outlet) before, during, and after WD2019 Conference.
- Supports the project management of Conference mobile app with Development Firm.
- Oversees logistics and support strategy related to WDLive – live broadcast studio at WD2019 Conference; including coordinating and packing content, speakers, and onsite logistics.
- Supports the process of environmental design – including rentals of furniture and special equipment.
- Supports drafting of plenary run of show and plenary speaker/moderator prep packets with Plenary focal point.
- Supports Communications Advisory Group; managing agendas, note taking, and follow-up.
- Works closely with Satellite Event Consultant to amplify key events on the WD2019 Conference website and beyond.
- Helps with the research, vetting, selection, design, and ordering of conference merchandise and SWAG.
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Supervises interns and consultants, as needed.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide communications planning efforts.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- BA/BS required in related field such as communications, journalism, marketing, international affairs, public health, human rights, or gender studies; Master’s degree preferred.
- 4-6 years of media/communications experience in an NGO, UN agency, a communications agency, a media outlet, or corporation.
- Expertise in and passion for gender equality, maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Experience with developing plans and executing on a large-scale event or project.
- Proven ability to work effectively with communications consultants and vendors on creative outputs across multiple platforms.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project coordination skills.
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and work.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently delivering excellent-quality work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Must be able to travel and attend the WD2019 Conference in Vancouver, Canada (1 week of remote travel/work).
- French language skills a plus.
- Must be eligible work in the United States without sponsorship.