Senior Associate, Policy and Advocacy
Location: New York City
Posted: December 2017
Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze actions that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights, and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress particularly in gender equality and maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Associate plays a strategic role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s general policy and advocacy programming with emphasis around stakeholder engagement, key message development, products, publications and strategic convenings including the Women Deliver 2019 Conference, with focus on the health, rights and wellbeing of girls and women and selected issue areas within these.
- Assists with developing and implementing strategic plans for advocacy activities including but not limited to Women Deliver’s work on 1) NCDs (serving as focal point of WDF grant and NCD task force), 2) WD 2019 Conference, 3) other policy and advocacy task forces, advisory & counsel roles and 4) the development of policy and advocacy products focused on SRHR, MNCH, education and economic empowerment.
- Organizes general advocacy outreach efforts including the development of policy briefs, presentations, key messages, talking points, briefings and other relevant materials such as drafting grant proposals and key advocacy materials.
- Supports Women Deliver’s key advisory roles including G7, GFF and ADB.
- Oversees the evidence in support of policy and advocacy activities including data gathering, analysis and modeling.
- Builds and contributes to the general policy and advocacy tracker, thru technical guidance and quality assurance, utilizing best practices in monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Builds, expands, maintains and helps coordinate partnerships with stakeholders and coalitions with UN entities, NGOs, private sector partners, nonprofits and foundations including representing Women deliver on various task forces and working groups.
- Prepares, revises, advises and consults on funding proposals, donor reports and other key funding documents related to assigned issue areas.
- Represents Women Deliver at various events and conferences related to connected issue areas.
- Supports and monitors the creation of key data thru the Equal Measures 2030 partnership.
- Supports preparation for the Women Deliver 2019 conference – including developing content areas, managing conference events, liaising with speakers and handling other opportunities as they may arise.
- Establishes, monitors, evaluations and improves work plans to ensure timely completion of deliverables.
- Liaises with the OOP, Communications, Youth and Humanitarian teams on opportunities to advance key advocacy initiatives thru various mediums.
- Supervises and supports interns, program assistants and consultants as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- BA/BS required in related field such as public health, international relations, gender studies, political science or human rights; Master’s degree highly preferred.5-7 years of experience in an NGO, UN agency, or similar organization.
- Expertise in maternal health, SRHR and/or international development with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Human rights expertise and experience preferred.
- Data analysis and/or statistical modeling experience preferred.
- Experience working with diverse cultures on global health or international development campaigns, programs or initiatives.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project coordination skills.
- Adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentations and other external written materials.
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently delivering excellent-quality work.
- Experience working with partners and coalitions on the development and execution of policy and advocacy strategies and deliverables.
- Experience with advocacy and communications campaigns, monitoring and evaluation techniques a plus, but not required.
- Experience work on communications and advocacy campaigns in a developing country context, a plus.
- Ability to design and implement creative, analytical approaches to improve programs and projects.
- Experience translating dense research materials and technical content into material for broader audiences.
Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.Native French or Spanish language skills preferred.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.
- Must be eligible work in the United States without sponsorship.