Senior Associate, External Relations (Program Quality)
Location: New York City
Posted: September 2018
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment–political and financial –in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of Position:
The Senior Associate will report to the Managing Director, External Relations and will work closely with the External Relations team including the Senior Advisor who leads in grant writing, including coordinating internal teams and strategy. This role will help support the organization’s priority to build and increase funding, utilizing a partnership approach, engaging individual, institutional, bilateral and multilateral funding partners as well as foundations, individuals and private sector partners. The Senior Associate will lead on key funding trends and analysis research; oversee systems to manage funding submissions and reporting; and support on grant writing.
- Oversees processes for all funding submissions including concept notes, proposals and reports, ensuring the multi-team processes are efficient, inclusive and timely.
- Conducts research on prospects and other opportunities for new funding, with emphasis on institutional funding partners, as well as private sector and foundations, including analysis of trends in the donor and partnership landscape.
- Drafts and edits concept notes, funding proposals, frameworks, reports and other written material specifically targeted for funders and partners.
- Working with Senior Advisor and Director, Program Quality and Compliance, supports the development of Results Based Management Frameworks in close collaboration with program teams.
- Maintains all key deadlines and trackers including grant calendar, funding deadlines, reporting deadlines etc.
- Engages with funding partners through all phases of the funding cycle and represent the organization as needed.
- Develops protocols for managing a database (Salesforce) of interactions with key funders and oversee implementation.
- Supports the mapping of partners’ areas of interest, programs and priorities and develop cross-cutting frame or lenses that align these interests with the Women Deliver strategic plan.
- Drafts correspondence for partners from the Managing Director and other key senior staff.
- Supports the development of budgets, financial reports and other key materials working closely with the Senior Advisor and the Director of Finance and Director of Program Quality & Compliance.
- Works closely in partnership with Program teams to build capacity in the grant submission and reporting process.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus.
- 4-6 years of experience working for an international non-profit organization, UN agency, or globally focused foundation in a similar role.
- Proven success in writing various components of funding submissions and reports.
- Experience working inclusively with team members to build results-based management frameworks, grounded in an organizations’ theory of change and ensure alignment with multiple funding partners.
- Experience in institutional fundraising, ideally with the governments of Canada, Europe and/or large foundations.
- Understanding of gender equality, advocacy, and international development preferred.
- Superior writing and editing skills with the ability to produce top quality work in a short period of time.
- Experience in conducting donor research –institutional, foundations and private sector donors and overall donor landscapes.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and project management experience (skilled in systems).
- Ability to thrive in high profile environments supporting key program ambassadors, dignitaries and other honored people with maturity and discretion.
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and conduct work independently.
- Strong attention to detail and a track record of consistently delivering high-quality work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Word and Excel, familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- French language skills preferred.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.