Senior Associate, Communications
Location: Flexible, with the ability to take meetings during core EST hours as established by Women Deliver
Status: Full-time, Temporary (May 1, 2023 - December 22, 2023)
Compensation: $5,700 - $6,100 USD / month + full benefits
Posted Date: March 15, 2023
Priority Deadline: April 1, 2023 (applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
About Women Deliver
Women Deliver is a global feminist advocacy organization that demands the full suite of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) for all people, everywhere. Led by and representative of feminist movements in low- and middle-income countries, we focus on adolescent girls — both in terms of our impact and commitment to putting young people in the driver’s seat of decision-making.
We create spaces for collective action on SHRH and gender equality, championing and supporting youth advocacy, and convening likeminded organizations. In everything we do, we aim to shift power into the hands of those closest to and living the challenges that girls face. Their expertise and lived experiences are vital to our collective struggle.
About Women Deliver 's Communications
When it feels like every day starts with a bad news story, our communications remind our audience that hope is real and change is possible. We reinforce the fact that progress toward justice and gender equality can and does happen every day when feminists and feminist organizations come together to address harmful norms, laws, and policies worldwide. We are angry about injustice and recognize that change takes time, but remain positive about our collective power to drive progress.
Jargon has no place in our messaging. We’re focused on making all of our communications as easily understandable and transparent as possible, and never pretending to be something that we’re not in the lifelong process of being antiracist and anticolonialist in everything we do. Our communications get loud about inequity, while also focusing on how we can work together to come up with lasting solutions.
While the issues that we’re working to address are serious, our communications, particularly to younger audiences, are funny, fresh, and current. We stay in the know about what’s trending, and leverage popular culture to capture people’s attention and increase their interest in gender equality and SRHR.
Summary of the Position
The Senior Associate, Communications, will work in partnership with Women Deliver’s communications team to implement Women Deliver’s programmatic communications work in alignment with Women Deliver’s overall communications strategy. From May to August, 2023, the Senior Associate, Communications, will primarily focus on supporting communications activities before, during, and after the Women Deliver 2023 Conference. From September 2023 onward, the Senior Associate, Communications, will play a leading role in refining Women Deliver’s brand identity, institutional messaging, and overall communications strategy.
- Work in close coordination with the communications team to implement Women Deliver’s overall communications strategy and work plan, including around key advocacy moments (most notably, the Women Deliver 2023 Conference).
- Work in close coordination across all Women Deliver teams to implement their communications strategies and to provide ongoing support with writing, copyediting, proofing, designing, publishing, promoting, and printing communications materials.
Writing and Project Management
- Conduct and oversee the conceptualization, writing, editing, dissemination, and tracking of Women Deliver content/materials (across multiple platforms). Materials include, but are not limited to, presentations, digital content, website copy/content, blogs, thought pieces, social media posts, media pitches, press releases, reports, and talking points.
- Develop, write, design, and disseminate all Women Deliver newsletters, including by leading on all aspects of conceptualization, strategy, partner engagement, execution, and evaluation.
- Manage internal and external partners, project plans, timelines, and budgets with consultants or vendors (e.g., designers, printers, editors, videographers, photographers, translators, digital and communications consultants, etc.,).
- Ensure that Women Deliver’s brand, personality, and tone of voice are reflected in all programmatic and institutional communications products.
Media Monitoring and Engagement
- Track and analyze communications and advocacy activities, communications messages, and media hits (traditional and digital) related to Women Deliver’s work for internal and donor reporting.
- Facilitate press and media outreach for Women Deliver’s communications work, including by drafting pitches and press releases, as well as by managing media contacts.
Ad-hoc Communications Support
- Organize and attend meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Support CEO and senior focal communications around strategic engagement opportunities, including by writing op-eds, talking points, social media posts, Q&As, and any other materials requested.
- Translate communications materials from English to French, as able and as needed.
- Carry out other communications duties as requested.
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience in communications and digital media with an emphasis on advocacy, gender equality, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- A strong background in conceptualizing, writing, editing, disseminating, and tracking communications content/materials across multiple platforms, including presentations, digital content, website copy/content, blogs, thought pieces, social media posts, pitches, press releases, reports, and talking points.
- Experience drafting, designing, disseminating, and promoting newsletters and other communications products.
- Experience in communications project management, including with managing internal and external partners, project plans, timelines, and budgets with consultants or vendors.
- Experience supporting executive communications, including by writing op-eds, talking points, social media posts, tough Q&As, and any other written materials requested to support strategic engagement opportunities.
- Experience with press and media outreach to advance communications objectives, including managing media contacts and relationship cultivating with journalists.
- Knowledge of and experience using Mailchimp, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, Trello, and WordPress desirable.
- Commitment to fostering an anti-racist and inclusive workplace required.
- French language skills strongly preferred.
- Able to travel to Kigali, Rwanda for WD2023 (travel expenses paid by Women Deliver).
How to Apply
Send your CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Include the position title in the subject line. If applying for more than one position, include the positions in the body of your e-mail
- Ensure that any files submitted include your full name