Request for Proposals for Audit Services
Posted: October 2019
Priority Deadline: November 22 (rolling review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Women Deliver is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization incorporated in 2009 and governed by a board of directors. We divide our work into the following workstreams: Global Advocacy, Deliver for Good, Humanitarian, Youth Engagement, Conference, and Communications. Women Deliver currently has an annual operating budget of approximately $11M USD, funded primarily through a mix of government donors, foundations, and corporate partners. Women Deliver employs approximately 60 FTEs, and has one office located in New York City. Every three years we host an international conference, which materially increases the size of the organization. For context, the 2019 conference added approximately $10M over normal operating expenses; as a result, we expect 2019 to end at approximately $20M in expenses.
Summary of Need:
Women Deliver is requesting proposals from licensed certified public accounting firms with experience providing audit and tax services to non-profits with multiple revenue streams, including bilateral and multilateral grants, and who understand the intricacies of US and International donor compliance requirements, and who have performed complicated project audits. The firm should belong to one of the global networks of independent accounting firms, be able to provide support when needed for international issues, and be able to act as a thought partner to support and continue to strengthen Women Deliver’s robust accounting and financial processes.
Auditing Timing and Scope:
Women Deliver requests your firm to provide a bid for the following one-year engagement, to include:
- Audited financial statements and management letter in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards for the year ended 12/31/2019
- Preparation of supplemental schedules as may be required by donors
- Preparation of IRS Form 990
- Presentation of audited financial statements and applicable supplemental information, as needed, to Women Deliver’s Board of Directors
- Availability to answer questions and be a strategic thought partner throughout the year
- We expect to be prepared for audit fieldwork to begin in mid-March 2020 and expect delivery of the financial statements and supplemental information for an early May 2020 board meeting. Following the audit we would also expect timely preparation and filing of IRS Form 990.
Please provide the following in your proposal:
- A description of your firm, such as history, staff size, areas of work, sectors served.
- A description of engagements your firm currently performs in the not-for-profit sector and how long it has performed such audits. Include a list of not-for-profit clients that you believe are comparable to our organization in size, mission focus, and complexity. If partners or other employees serve in an advisory/consultative capacity within the not-for-profit sector, please describe such experiences as well.
- Your experience with complex government and multi-lateral funders.
- Describe the level of experience of the proposed partner in charge of the audit, individuals who would be assigned to our account, and supervisory practices. Please include any continuing professional education specific to non-profit organizations.
- Describe your firm’s basic approach to performing an audit and the resulting value-add for our organization.
- A description of the activities undertaken by your firm to promote/ensure audit quality.
- Describe the extent to which our organization’s personnel will be expected to contribute to the work effort.
- Describe any existing or potential relationships between your firm and Women Deliver that could affect your independence and objectivity because of an actual or perceived conflict of interest.
- Please include your most recent peer review report and any response with your proposal.
- Proposed timeline for performing the annual audit.
- Fees and cost of engagement.
- Estimated cost for annual engagement
- Approach and methodology
- Qualifications and technical ability
- Availability in line with our proposed timeline
Proposal Review Timeline:
- November 18, 2019 at 11:59 PM: deadline for proposal submission
- November 25-December 6: finalist interviews
- December 19: Award of Engagement/Appointment by Board of Directors
- February 2020: Audit kick off
- March 2020: Field work
- May 2020: Audit completed and presented at May board meeting
Women Deliver Contact:
Olivier Quessy, Director of Finance & Administration