Part-time Senior Advisor, Legal Affairs and Operations
Location: New York City (US work authorization required)
Posted: October 29, 2021
Salary: Part-time (approx. 20 hrs/week) $85,000 USD + part-time benefits
Priority Deadline: November 19, 2021 (applications will then be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
In this role, the Senior Advisor – Legal Affairs and Operations oversees all legal and regulatory matters of Women Deliver and is instrumental in preparing the legal infrastructure for the next Women Deliver Conference in 2023 (WD2023). The Senior Advisor will play a key role in supporting the organization’s governance structure and fundraising activities, as well as developing compliance measures and organizational and employment policies aligning with Women Deliver’s work to become an anti-racist organization rooted in anti-colonial and intersectional feminist principles. The Senior Advisor is the organization’s lead on risk management. This role reports to the President/CEO and supports the Board of Directors. The Senior Advisor is an integral part of the Women Deliver team, working across all teams, participating in organizational meetings, and supporting the planning and implementing of Women Deliver’s Strategic Plan.
Legal Advice and Oversight
- Reports weekly to the President/CEO on all outstanding legal matters compliance needs.
- Works closely with the Operations Team to draft, negotiate, and review contracts as a key part of our contract review process.
- Coordinates specific legal matters with outside (pro bono and paid) counsel.
- Works closely with Senior Focals on sector-related issues such as those involving program, grants and sub-grants, donor compliance, IP, and branding issues.
- Drafts with working groups new or revisions to organizational policies.
- Works closely with Human Resources on employment matters, benefits, and employment policies.
- Advises the Defined Contribution (403(b)) Plan Committee on fiduciary responsibilities.
- Oversees the Organization’s liability and special insurance policies, working with organization’s brokers and finance team.
- Prepares Board materials, legal reports, and drafts Board resolutions for all Board meetings.
- Advises Board on matters of governance, compliance, fiduciary responsibility, and risk management; attend all Board meetings.
Women Deliver Conference (WD2023)
- Works in close coordination with the Conference & Convenings Team to support contract development (site, vendors, government MOUs, and consultants).
- Responsible for special insurance structures for Conference.
- Develops fundraising (e.g., sponsorship) vehicles for Conference.
- Develops Code of Conduct for Conference and oversee risk management and risk planning for Conference.
- Manages branding, IP, and licensing issues for Conference.
- Manages compliance with host country government requirements and cultivates engagement with external Conference Counsel.
Fundraising & Communications
- Works in close coordination with the External Relations Team to help ensure compliance with donor regulations and requirements.
- Serves on crisis management team with CEO and Communications lead.
- Supports donor due diligence team’s implementation of the Private Sector Donor Engagement Policy.
- As needed, reviews donor and external communications.
- Reviews and update employment policies regularly.
- Supports all-staff communications on employment-related matters.
- Assists HR on specific employee matters, complaints and management.
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Supervises interns and consultants, as needed.
- Serves on the Operations Roundtable, a working group comprised of Finance & Administration and HR staff.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide transformation efforts to become an anti-racist organization rooted in anti-colonial and intersectional feminist principles.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- J.D. required from an accredited law school and licensed in New York or be eligible to become member of NY Bar.
- 5 years + experience representing or working in-house in a non-profit organization.
- Expertise in sexual and reproductive health and rights issues and gender equality is a plus.
- Proven ability to effectively project manage multiple projects with internal and external teams.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong project coordination skills, experience as both a team player and leader.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently delivering excellent-quality work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness and creativity in solving problems.
- Commitment to working with humility with advocates across the world, many from historically marginalized groups.
- Must be able to work from the Women Deliver office at least 2-3 days each week.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.
- Skilled in Word, Excel, Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
How to Apply
Send your CV/resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com
- Include the position title in the subject line. If applying for more than one position, include the positions in the body of your e-mail
- Ensure that any files submitted include your full name