Director, Youth Engagement
Location: New York City
Posted: February 2020
Priority Deadline: May 4, 2020 (applications will then be reviewed on a rolling basis)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
The organization uses a multitude of strategies to highlight what works, inspire new ideas, equip advocates, increase investment, and propel action, operating across four focus areas to advance progress for girls’ and women’s health, rights, and wellbeing:
- Catalyze Action
- Build capacity
Young people are changing the world today, creating the reality of tomorrow. Speaking up, challenging norms, collaborating, and building networks – young advocates are driving positive change in their communities, countries, and around the world. Women Deliver is shifting the global landscape in favor of meaningful youth engagement because we know young people are shaping a gender equal future. It’s time to follow their lead.
Young Leaders Program:
With an emphasis on sexual and reproductive health and rights, Women Deliver elevates the work of young people taking a stand for gender equality. Since 2010, a total of 700 young people from 138 countries have increased their impact through the award-winning Young Leaders Program, which acts as a catalyst for rising advocates, providing access to:
Grants: Youth are powerful agents of change, but they require support and access to resources to be successful. Unfortunately, institutional donors often see them as lacking a “proven track record” or too young to implement a grant. To fill this gap, Women Deliver has been providing grants to select Young Leaders and alumni since 2014 to implement short-term advocacy projects to advance gender equality in their communities and countries.
Training: Women Deliver hosts workshops to build the capacity of Young Leaders to become more effective advocates. These workshops bring together selected Young Leaders to strengthen their relationships and networks at the regional level to encourage strategic, coordinated, and collaborative advocacy. In keeping with our principles on meaningful youth engagement, the programming is co-created by Young Leaders themselves.
Digital University: Structured, self-paced, and iterative coursework provides Young Leaders with a powerful foundation that enables them to enact change and deliver for girls and women. The in-depth online curriculum focuses on gender equality and sustainable development; sexual and reproductive health and rights; meaningful youth engagement; communications and media; and grant proposals and financial stewardship. The coursework is supplemented by a rich offering of webinars and tutorials.
Speaker’s Bureau: Nothing about them, without them. Women Deliver believes that young people possess the experience and expertise to forge solutions to the challenges that affect them and their communities. Through the Speakers Bureau, we elevate and amplify the voices of Young Leaders and support their meaningful participation in national, regional, and global speaking opportunities while elevating them to positions of influence and power, including on panels, commissions, and boards.
Networking: The Women Deliver Conferences are part of the Young Leaders’ journey and a continued opportunity for Young Leaders and Alumni to build their capacity, skills, and networks to advance their advocacy. In addition to integrating youth voices in all Conference programming, Young Leaders participate in a Young Leaders and Alumni Workshop, a Youth Pre-Conference, and the intergenerational Youth Zone.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Team: Senior Manager and Assistant will report directly. The total Youth Team is 8, in addition to this role, including: Assistant, 2 Associates, 2 Senior Associates, 2 Managers, Senior Manager.
The Director will lead Women Deliver’s youth engagement portfolio as an advocate and spokesperson for meaningful youth engagement. Notably, they will play a key role in guiding the vision and strategy for Women Deliver’s Young Leaders Program, which connects outstanding young advocates with the platforms, the people, and the resources that can amplify their influence on a larger scale.
As a member of the organization’s Coordination Team, the Director will bring exceptional leadership and strategic abilities, a strong understanding of gender equality, intersectional feminism, meaningful youth engagement within the global development sector, and a deep sense of respect for the power of young people as leaders in advancing the health and rights of girls and women.
This leader will partner with the Senior Manager of Youth Engagement who oversees day-to-day implementation, staff management, and reporting.
- Continuing to refine the strategic vision of the youth engagement portfolio, ensuring integration across program areas and alignment with the overall strategic plan
- Ensuring meaningful youth engagement and youth-led advocacy is elevated at a global level through norm setting and conversation
- Influencing the Young Leaders Program, creating new opportunities and partnerships, and enhancing the platform for Young Leaders
- Representing Women Deliver and meaningful youth engagement externally – serving as a content expert at international fora, conferences, events, and media opportunities
- Serving as an advisory member and key counselor with key stakeholders, working groups and coalitions to ensure young people's representation and engagement at national, regional, and global levels
- Proactively identifying new opportunities to enhance Women Deliver’s role as a leading advocate for young people’s engagement and leadership
- Developing and maintaining relationships with a diverse donor community in collaboration with the External Relations team
- Leading and mentoring a team of youth engagement professionals
Experience & Characteristics:
- Minimum of 10 years of cumulative work experience
- Program management experience required, preferably in a youth-led or youth-serving organization
- Strong understanding of, and connections in, the field of youth engagement, global development, and/or gender equality
- Experience working with intersectional feminist movements, including LGBTQIA+ communities, people with disabilities, indigenous groups, ethnic and religious minorities, and people living in humanitarian settings is key to success
- Strong understanding of global advocacy
- Experience with results-based program design and grant management
- Experience with public speaking and the ability to represent the organization in a variety of settings, including media
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, presentation, and time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Comfort in working across time zones using video technology as a communications tool
- Demonstrated ability to respectfully and diplomatically engage with diverse groups and discuss sensitive topics
- A truly collaborative personality with the ability to work cross functionally and articulate a point of view with a hands-on, positive, can-do attitude
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country is strongly preferred
- French, Spanish, or Arabic language skills are a plus
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (up to 40%)
- Must be able to work in the US without sponsorship
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters highly preferred