Director, Women Deliver Conference
Location: New York City
Posted: February 2020
Priority Deadline: July 1, 2020 (rolling application review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
The organization uses a multitude of strategies to highlight what works, inspire new ideas, equip advocates, increase investment, and propel action, operating across four focus areas to advance progress for girls’ and women’s health, rights, and wellbeing:
- Catalyze Action
- Build capacity
Women Deliver Conference:
Every three years, we galvanize momentum at the global Women Deliver Conference. It’s a bold and diverse gathering, a fueling station of ideas, and generator of action, convening thousands to identify solutions and drive change for girls and women.
Prior Conferences - held in 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019 – were located in London, Washington DC, Kuala Lumpur, Copenhagen, and Vancouver, respectively. The next conference will be held in 2022, location to be announced.
Women Deliver Conferences bring together thousands of decision-makers from civil society, governments, the private sector, and international agencies alongside advocates, activists, and journalists for dialogue, evidence and solution sharing, accountability, and action – on site and around the globe. Built with partners, for partners, we deepen existing relationships and foster new ones.
By focusing the world’s attention on the transformative potential of girls and women, Women Deliver Conferences send a powerful signal that investing in gender equality is foundational to progress for all. They catalyze action and global change.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Team: Coordinate several consultants, part-time staff, and full-time staff, including leads for both program and logistics. The Director will be directly supported by an Associate, Conference.
The Director, Women Deliver Conference will serve on the Coordination Team (our senior leadership team) and play a leading role in convening diverse communities in an innovative and inspiring space for dialogue, evidence and solution sharing, accountability, and action, in order to ignite collaboration and a bolder movement toward gender equality and improved health and rights of girls and women.
The Director will oversee the activities leading up to, during, and after the conference taking place in 2022, on- and off-site. They will:
- Demonstrate both exceptional strategic vision and project management skills.
- Motivate a team of experts to see the various elements of a three-day event as a cumulative whole with the potential to profoundly affect the global agenda and drive progress for girls and women.
- Play a key role in advancing the advocacy agenda of Women Deliver and the Conference within the host country.
They must have the ability to challenge the “way we have always done it,” as well as to learn from the lessons of the five previous Women Deliver Conferences.
This is an opportunity to guide and inspire a dynamic group of staff and consultants to make the world’s largest conference on gender equality a global game changer.
- Serve as both internal and external representative and lead for the Women Deliver Conference.
- Create and foster a strategic vision of the conference, conference legacy, and connect the parts of the conference to ensure team members understand their role and their contribution to the whole conference.
- Identify potential and/or planned areas of synergy with partners and external constituents.
- Manage up and across functional teams to achieve conference goals and objectives.
- Manage Women Deliver staff on the conference team.
- Establish and manage process and milestone timelines.
- Regularly communicate deadlines and interdependency to ensure established milestones are met and opportunities for innovation are seized.
- Work closely with:
- Senior Manager, Conference, who will manage the logistics of the venue and vendor contracts related to the conference center, production, hotels, registration, and travel.
- Senior Associate, Conference, who will oversee the integration of the programmatic elements, including the plenary and concurrent programs.
- Communications Associate, Conference, who will oversee the communications implementation working closely with an outside agency (dotted line).
- Associate, Conference, who will support the Director with project management and special projects.
- Finance Team to track and manage conference budget.
- Policy & Advocacy Team to develop and implement our policy and advocacy goals leading up to and during the conference.
- External Relations to secure donor funding, sponsorships, and steward partner relationships.
- Protocol consultant/firm to develop and approve plan for handling conference VIPs.
- Oversee and facilitate planning meetings of the high-level external conference advisory committee.
- Assist in the convening of high-level meetings with donors in support of this work – including materials and recommendations.
- Serve as the liaison for host country activities with the government, private sector, NGOS, and CSOs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve any problems and maintain team spirit despite tight deadlines.
- Develop report findings and recommendations including contributing directly to report writing, publishing and outreach.
- Contribute to Women Deliver’s organization-wide strategic planning efforts.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Experience & Characteristics:
- Minimum 10 years of work experience, ideally with emphasis on global development in a project management, strategic communications, or high-level stakeholder role.
- Strong organization and project management skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work independently while meeting tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated budget management and financial skills.
- Ability to design and implement creative, analytical approaches to improve programs and projects, and to be flexible to change should these approaches need course correcting.
- Ability to apply strategic and creative thinking, while being persistent, motivated, proactive, energetic, and detail-oriented.
- Superb English language writing and editing skills; professional communication and presentation skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with diverse audiences including governments, donors, and civil society ensure productive partnerships.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentation.
- Experience using project management online tools.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country is strongly preferred
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Ability to travel as needed to/from conference host location
- Must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters highly preferred