Senior Associate, Communications (Deliver for Good)
Location: New York City
Posted: October 2019
Priority Deadline: December 9 (rolling review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Women Deliver supports Deliver for Good, a global campaign that applies a gender lens to the Sustainable Development Goals and promotes 12 critical investments in girls and women to power progress for all. The campaign was launched at the global level in 2016, with national campaigns in Kenya and Senegal launched thereafter.
Summary of the Position:
The Senior Communications Associate plays a significant role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s strategic communications for the Deliver for Good campaign, in alignment with the overall communications strategy of Women Deliver.
- Serves as the daily focal point and communications lead for the Deliver for Good campaign, including technical assistance for global and national campaigns in Kenya and Senegal.
- Works in close coordination with the policy & advocacy team to develop and implement the Deliver for Good campaign communications strategy and work plan, including for key programmatic and advocacy moments (including commissions, conferences, and consultations) to advance the Deliver for Good campaign.
- Integrates the Deliver for Good campaign into the overall Women Deliver communications strategies and editorial calendar, and manages external communications.
- Conducts and oversees conceptualization, writing, editing, production, dissemination, and tracking of Deliver for Good campaign content/materials (across multiple platforms) including but not limited to presentations, digital content, video, photography, website design/content, blogs, social media posts, collateral materials, external reports and donor reports, and talking points, aligned with Women Deliver’s broader communication efforts.
- Oversees the Deliver for Good Campaign newsletter including conceptualizing, strategy, partner engagement, execution, and evaluation.
- Working in close coordination with the policy & advocacy team, oversees/manages the process of design, quality control, and printing of Campaign materials.
- Coordinates Deliver for Good-specific social media outreach and engagement, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Medium, and LinkedIn to engage with cross-sector and cross-issue partners, allies, supporters, and their networks.
- Tracks and analyses communications and advocacy activities, communications messages and media hits (traditional and digital) related to the Deliver for Good Campaign for donor reporting.
- Oversees Women Deliver press and media outreach related to the Deliver for Good campaign, including pitching, external contracts, and relationship cultivating with journalists and others in the media.
- Plays a significant role in ongoing partner engagement/management including through participating in and contributing to the work of relevant Campaign Workgroups, including providing oversight and coordination of the Campaign Communications Workgroup.
- Seeks out and/or supports communications and media activities with multi-sector partners as well as supports partner communication efforts through traditional and social media in global and national outlets and networks.
- Manages relationships, project plans, timelines, and budgets with external consultants or vendors for Campaign communications (e.g., designers, printers, editors, videographers, photographers, digital and communications consultants, etc.).
- Supports the implementation and monitoring of the workplan to ensure timely completion of deliverables, particularly as it related to communications efforts for Deliver for Good.
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Oversees Deliver for Good Campaign presence – including branding, content, and partner engagement – at the Women Deliver 2022 Conference.
- Works in close collaboration with Senior Managers to shape the engagement of Deliver for Good high-level Influencers including talking points, social media, and conceptualizing/executing strategic engagement opportunities.
- Supervises associate, interns, and consultants, as needed.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide communications planning efforts.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications, and Education:
- BA/BS in related field such as communications, journalism, international affairs, public health, human rights, or gender studies; Master’s degree preferred.
- 4-6 years of media/communications experience in an NGO, UN agency, a communications agency, a media outlet, or corporation.
- Expertise in and passion for gender equality, international maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Solid knowledge of and experience with developing and executing advocacy and communications campaigns using research, public events, and media–particularly in an international and developing country context.
- Proven ability to work effectively with communications consultants and vendors on creative outputs across multiple platforms.
- Experience developing highly-effective digital media content (including, but not limited to, website development from concept to completion, blogs, photo essays, videos) and storytelling.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project coordination skills.
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and work.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently delivering excellent-quality work.
- Experience working with partners and coalitions on the development and execution of communications strategies and deliverables.
- Experience with advocacy and communications campaigns, monitoring and evaluation techniques a plus, but not required.
- Experience working on communications and advocacy campaigns in a developing country context, a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Fluent to intermediate proficiency in French, a plus.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.