Location: New York City
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Title of the Supervisor Senior Communications Associate (Deliver for Good), with dotted-line matrix reporting to the Senior Manager, Policy and Advocacy/Deliver for Good
Posted: February 2019
Priority Deadline: 22 February 2019
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment–political and financial –in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
The Communications Associate plays a significant role in designing and implementing Women Deliver’s strategic communications for the Deliver for Good campaign, in alignment with the overall communications strategy of Women Deliver.
- Serves as a key member of the communications team supporting the daily communication focal point for the Deliver for Good campaign.
- Working in close coordination with the Senior Associate and the advocacy team, to develop and implement the Deliver for Good campaign communications plans for key programmatic and advocacy moments (including commissions, conferences, and consultations) to advance the Deliver for Good campaign strategy and workplan. This may include shaping key messages, digital engagement, event planning, and more.
- Supports in integrating the Deliver for Good campaign into the overall Women Deliver editorial calendar, and external communications.
- Supporting in the press and media outreach related to the Deliver for Good campaign, including pitching, external contracts, and relationship cultivating with journalists and others in the media.
- Plays a significant role in participating and contributing to the work of the Deliver for Good partner workgroup on communications.
- Supports in conducting and executing writing, editing, production, dissemination, and tracking related to the Deliver for Good campaign, including coordination of content within all promotional materials (across multiple platforms – including, but not limited to, the campaign newsletter, presentations, digital content, video, photography, website content, blogs, social media posts, e-blasts, collateral materials, external reports and donor reports), aligned with Women Deliver’s broader communication efforts.
- Oversees the translation – and updating -- of Deliver for Good materials into French.
- Working in close coordination with the advocacy team, maintains and routinely updates a compendium of the latest data related to Deliver for Good issue areas, including reports, publications, initiatives, and campaigns to inform and enhance communications efforts.
- Seeks out and/or supports communications and media activities with multi-sector partners as well as supports partner communication efforts through international and global south traditional and social media outlets.
- Supports the management of relationships and projects plans, timelines, and budgets with work that may require external consultants or vendors (e.g., designers, printers, editors, videographers, photographers, digital and communications consultants, etc.).
- Coordinates Deliver for Good-specific social media outreach and engagement, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, to engage with cross-sector and cross-issue partners, allies, supporters, and their networks.
- Tracks and analyses communications and advocacy activities, communications messages and media hits (traditional and digital) related to the Deliver for Good Campaign for donor reporting.
- Contributes to ensuring the coordination of Deliver for Good communications within the broader Women Deliver communications efforts including with the advocacy team and youth team.
- Supports the implementation and monitoring of the workplan to ensure timely completion of deliverables, particularly as it related to communications efforts for Deliver for Good.
- Organizes and attends meetings, briefings, conferences, and other events, as requested.
- Contributes to Women Deliver’s organization-wide communications planning efforts.
- Supporting in planning and executing communications elements related to Deliver for Good presence at the Women Deliver 2019 Conference.
- Providing technical assistance to the Deliver for Good Senegal communications efforts including messaging and activations (French language skills strongly preferred).
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications, and Education:
- BA/BS in related field such as communications, journalism, international affairs, public health, human rights, or gender studies.
- 2-4 years of media/communications experience in an NGO, UN agency, a communications agency, a media outlet, or corporation.
- Expertise in and passion for gender equality, international maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues, with an emphasis on girls and women.
- Solid knowledge of and experience with developing and executing advocacy and communications campaigns using research, public events, and media–particularly in an international and developing country context.
- Experience developing highly-effective digital media content (including, but not limited to, website development from concept to completion, blogs, photo essays, videos) and storytelling.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong project coordination skills.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to consistently delivering excellent-quality work.
- Experience working with partners and coalitions on the development and execution of communications strategies and deliverables.
- Experience with advocacy and communications campaigns, monitoring and evaluation techniques a plus, but not required.
- Experience working on communications and advocacy campaigns in a developing country context, a plus.
- Experience working with partners from diverse countries/cultures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, if needed.
- French language required; intermediate to advanced.
- Must be eligible work in the United States without sponsorship.