Yves Miel Zuniga
- Age: 29
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Now more than ever, we, young people, need to act together to send an impactful message to world leaders — we are the change the next generation needs. Gender issues mirror mental health issues. When you address the former, you contribute in the improvement of the latter.
- Yves Miel Zuniga
Yves Miel Zuniga was born and raised in the Philippines. He received a Bachelor of Science in Public Health from the University of the Philippines Manila in 2016. As a Senior Health Program Officer at the Department of Health, Yves performs assessments of health technologies in collaboration with the team lead, supports dissemination to the HTA Council, and supports policy and guideline development relevant to the Health Technology Assessment Unit in collaboration with key stakeholders. As Co-founder and Deputy Director for Policy and Partnership at #MentalHealthPH, he is responsible for representing the organization in policy discussions and dialogues with the Department of Health and facilitating partnerships with different key stakeholders.
Additionally, Yves is on the Scientific Advisory board at MindNation, a member of the board of Directors at the University of the Philippines BS Hygiene/Public Health Alumni Association, and a member of BluePrint Group Financing and Child and Adolescent Committees.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
Gender equality plays a key role in achieving a mentally healthy community. Gender inequalities and challenges in mental health are closely related together, and when you address the other, it mirrors the progress of another.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I facilitated partnerships of our organization with various influencers and celebrities who spoke on our behalf about the importance of mental health, as well as acceptance of the LGBT community in our society.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I do love watching Korean dramas on Netflix. I also enjoy some physical activities like dancing even if I am not good at it.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Filipino (Advanced/Native)
- youth mental health in the school and workplace
- community organization and participation in addressing NCDs
- social media and digital technology use in advocacy
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- HIV/AIDS Surveillance Certificate Course by Global Health eLearning Center USAID
- Project Management in Global Health Short Course by University of Washington Global Health e-Learning Program
- Health Systems Strengthening Short Course by University of Melbourne
- WHO Advanced Course on Health Financing for Universal Coverage for Low- and Middle-Income Countries
- Training Course on Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health in Emergencies by United Nations Population Fund
- Fellow for Royal Society for Public Health
- Cochrane Collaborator
- Global Burden of Disease Network Collaborator
- Phi Sigma Biological Honors Society Member