- Age: 23
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
All young people should be empowered with reliable information and be provided with the necessary resources for us to make safe and healthy decisions regarding our sexual health.
- Stefanie Lauchman
Stefanie Lauchman was born and raised in Suriname. She is currently working toward a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry at Anton de Kom University of Suriname. As a volunteer Management and Attendance Director at the Youth Advisory Group of the United Nations Population Fund, Stefanie is responsible for creating and ensuring a safe space for the members of our organization where they can comfortably grow in being passionate advocates by organizing internal capacity building training on our mandates as well as team-building activities. Stefanie is also part of the community organization Secretary Gonini Foundation Suriname and a Student Council member.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
A childhood friend had two children by the age of 16. She was denied education after her first pregnancy and became a victim of gender-based violence. She wasn’t empowered to free herself from this situation. Realizing how many women share this story, I wanted to do my part and help.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I commemorated the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence by organizing a workshop and motivational session for the pupils of the Maria Boarding School. I also organized a poetry night in which youngsters advocated for elimination of violence, increased gender equality, and sexual health through music, art, theatre, and poetry.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy cooking immensely. I love surprising my friends and family with home-cooked meals and trying out new recipes. I am also a bookworm. From a young age, getting lost in the world an author creates has been one of my favorite ways to spend my time.
- Dutch (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- implementation of CSE in schools
- family planning
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Capacity Building sessions by Ms. Julia Terborg (Chair of the National Family Planning Association in Suriname) and Mr. Mario Aguilar
- Sustainable Development Goals Training Program in commemoration of UN DAY 2020
- Seminar for young and middle-aged education officials from developing countries
- Personal Growth for Young Women by the Practitioner for Communication - Counseling and Coaching (PCCC) Institute
- The link between the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) and UNFPA's mandates
- Alumni Appreciation Award by the Practitioner for Communication - Counseling and Coaching (PCCC) Institute