- Age: 24
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
All young people should be empowered with reliable information and be provided with the necessary resources for us to make safe and healthy decisions regarding our sexual health.
- Stefanie Lauchman
Stefanie Lauchman is a pasionate women’s rights activist who was born and raised in Suriname. She currently works as a journalist for the National Broadcaster (STVS) and she is the communications manager for the Mulokot Foundation. Furthermore, she is the brand ambassador and educator at the Practitioner for Communication, Counselling and Coaching (PCCC), an organization which focuses on growth and personal development of girls and young women. Stefanie has been a part of the Youth Advisory Group of the United Nations Population Fund since she was 16. Since 2016, she has held different positions in the organization and has been advocating passionately for sexual reproductive health and rights, gender equality and the elimination of violence against women and girls.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
1. I had the honour to present the Caribbean Youth Commitment during the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) in Nairobi Kenya in 2019. 2. I commemorated several 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence campaigns by organizing different events such as workshops, advocacy based sessions at schools, boarding schools, youth facilities, etc. 3. I also organized a poetry night in which youngsters advocated for elimination of violence, increased gender equality, and sexual health through music, art, theatre, and poetry.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I commemorated the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence by organizing a workshop and motivational session for the pupils of the Maria Boarding School. I also organized a poetry night in which youngsters advocated for elimination of violence, increased gender equality, and sexual health through music, art, theatre, and poetry.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy cooking immensely. I love surprising my friends and family with home-cooked meals and trying out new recipes. I am also a bookworm. From a young age, getting lost in the world an author creates has been one of my favorite ways to spend my time.
- Dutch (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- implementation of CSE in schools
- family planning
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Capacity Building sessions by Ms. Julia Terborg (Chair of the National Family Planning Association in Suriname) and Mr. Mario Aguilar
- Sustainable Development Goals Training Program in commemoration of UN DAY 2020
- Seminar for young and middle-aged education officials from developing countries
- Personal Growth for Young Women by the Practitioner for Communication - Counseling and Coaching (PCCC) Institute
- The link between the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) and UNFPA's mandates
- Alumni Appreciation Award by the Practitioner for Communication - Counseling and Coaching (PCCC) Institute