- Age: 28
- | She/her/hers, They/them/their
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
It is our common future that is currently being decided, and every youth voice counts. We are the only ones who know our context and our reality, so never let anyone tell you otherwise. Step up, hold political, social, and community spaces, and speak up.
- Sophie Beria
Sophie Beria is originally from Georgia and currently lives in Bulgaria. Sophie is working toward a Master’s in Human Rights Studies at Lund University. As Chairperson at YouAct – European Youth Network on Sexual and Reproductive Rights, Sophie is responsible for organizational management and decision making, leading the Steering Committee of five members, strategic planning, delegating tasks, and monitoring the Steering Committee’s work. As a Consultant on sexual and reproductive health and rights advocacy at the Georgia Union of PLHIV – Real People Real vision, Sophie raises awareness on HIV stigma and the specific sexual and reproductive health (SRH) needs of women living with HIV, women who use drugs, female sex workers, pregnant transgender women, and youth. Additionally, Sophie is a member of the Generation Equality Forum Civil Society Advisory Group, ASTRA Network, AWID, and the International AIDS Society.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
The deep-rooted shame and stigma that the patriarchal society of Georgia attributed to anything and everything related to the female experience. I remember my 7th-grade biology teacher skipping the textbook chapter on anatomy, deeming it vulgar and inappropriate. But that is just one out of the numerous daily experiences of growing up in a post-Soviet, post-war, highly patriarchal country under transition, where gender equality seemed to be at the bottom of everyone's priorities.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
In 2017, I co-created the first website on comprehensive sexuality education in Georgia: www.allaboutyou.ge. The platform is made entirely by young people for young people and currently houses more than 100 articles on everything from menstruation information to STIs and gender-based violence. The website quickly transformed into an interactive advocacy tool with hundreds of readers reaching out to us with questions and requests daily. I consider this platform as my biggest contribution to my community thus far.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
Practicing self-care, reading, writing, traveling, and flower pressing.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Georgian (Advanced/Native)
- Russian (Advanced/Native)
- German (Intermediate)
- French (Elementary)
- intersectional feminism
- abortion rights
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Youth Delegate of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities from Georgia (2020)
- Certificate of Recognition - Training for Trainers in Advocacy for Sexual and Reproductive Rights
- Certificate - Training for Healthcare Specialists and Psychologists about Transgender Identity and Gender Dysphoria from the Perspective of Clinical Sexology
- Certificate - International Thorvald Stoltenberg Seminar on the Promotion of Intercultural Dialogue in European Societies
- Certificate for Journalists - Broadcasting Gender-sensitive Issues from Conflict and Post-conflict Situations
- Eurasian Fellowship Program - CEDAW for Change Women’s Human Rights Education training programme co-hosted by the Law Department at Oxford Brookes University and Somerville College, University of Oxford
- Visby Scholarship holder from the Swedish Institute