Sheyla Tamariz Salazar
- Age: 27
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Nothing about us without us. We are key actors in powerful social movements that transform the course of human history. We must recognize our power and strengthen our advocacy because the success of one is also the joy of another.
- Sheyla Tamariz Salazar
Sheyla Tamariz Salazar was born and raised in Lima, Peru. She received a Bachelor of Sciences in Communication for Development from Pontifical Catholic University of Peru. As a Training Specialist of the Directorate of Cultural Diversity and Elimination of Racial Discrimination at the Ministry of Culture of Peru, Sheyla develops strategies and plans for capacity development and awareness of the importance of positive appreciation of cultural diversity and the elimination of racial discrimination. She is in charge of coordinating and promoting alliances with different sectors and youth groups. As a Teaching Assistant for the Art and Design Projects of Social Development course at Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, Sheyla provides support to the planning and development of class sessions and monitors the students’ progress based on University Social Responsibility.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
As part of my work on the Ministry of Culture of Peru, I realized that some of my job responsibilities contemplate not only the prevention of racism but also the prevention of violence against indigenous women. So when I had the opportunity to coordinate communications activities, I was able to promote actions with a gender thematic in order to open a discussion in different schools about the position of indigenous and Afro-Peruvian women in our society.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Spanish (Advanced/Native)
- identity power and the rights of indigenous and Afro-descendant cultures
- edutertainment for social change
- cross-sector solutions to racial discrimination
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Public Administration and Management from The Peruvian Institute of Public Affairs Politics and Government
- Artistics Workshops Facilitator by Pontifical Catholic University of Peru
- Promoter of Child and Adolescent Participation by IIN-OEA
- Member and Communications Advisor at AXIS Arte PUCP
- Social Sciences Scholarship Recipient at Pontifical Catholic University of de Chile
- Second Place in the PUCP Photography Contest