Nateica (Sheri) Garraway
- Age: 29
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Society needs more positive disruptors who will challenge traditional norms and break generational barriers that no longer serve us. Those who balance selfless giving and self-care to effectively create change and collaborate for greater impact will build lasting legacies. What role are you willing to play?
- Nateica (Sheri) Garraway
Nateica (Sheri) Garraway was born and raised in Guyana. She received a Bachelor of Science in General Biology from the University of Guyana in 2015. Currently, Sheri is a volunteer and Finance Committee member at SRHR Adventures, a grassroots organization with a special focus on family planning and contraception in Guyana and the Regional Coordinator: Caribbean & South America at The Kectil Program, a web-based program that provides leadership training for youth in developing countries.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
Having heard enough of society’s limiting narratives of how girls and women should/should not be, I had a strong desire to change that and let girls and women know that we’re worth more than domestic duties. That our voices matter and we deserve equal treatment and opportunities as men.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
Conducting an edu-powerment session with 20 adolescent mothers that focused on women’s rights in terms of their SRH, changing roles of women in society, gender equality, and the power of dreaming big is among my big win because it spoke truth to power and stirred motivation to be change agents.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
Being a creative individual, I love to read as much as I write. Cooking, baking, and then eating my creations are therapeutic activities that comfort my soul. I utterly enjoy adventures and being in nature. I love good music and movies. Casually browsing social media and interacting with my family and friends is also enjoyable.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- SRHR: safe sex consent and sexual pleasure
- gender equality/feminism: domestic duties as gender neutral skills/the changing roles of females in society
- personal development: being a visionary youth
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Days for Girls International: Ambassador of Women’s Health Course Menstrual Health Management & DFG kits (2019)
- International Youth Alliance for Family Planning: Be Your Best Advocate Online Mini-Course Advocacy Skills Training (2019)
- Women Deliver: Advocacy Academy in-Person Advocacy Skills Building Workshop at Women Deliver Conference (2019)
- Travel Scholarship to attend Women Deliver Conference (2019)
- SRHR Adventures Veteran Member Award (2019)
- Kectil Program: Developing Countries Youth Leadership Certificate of Excellent Performance (2018)
- Ministry of the Presidency: Youth Leadership Training (2018)
- Travel Scholarship to attend Partner’s Forum by Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health (2018)
- SRHR Adventures #1 Volunteer Trophy (2018)