- Age: 29
- | She/her/hers
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Nature teaches us peaceful coexistence. The meaningful participation by girls and women in all aspects of power, politics, business, and development activity can only make our planet a better place to live.
- Nafisa Tasneem
Nafisa Tasneem was born and raised in Bangladesh. She received a Bachelor of Medicine and a Bachelor of Surgery from Armed Forces Medical College in 2018. As a Medical Officer at Anwer Khan Modern Medical College Hospital, Nafisa oversees the medical care of the patients and the functions performed by our medical staff, helping assess and diagnose needs and plans of actions. Additionally, Nafisa works as a volunteer medical service provider in the Narail district and provides free medical services through her Facebook.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
As a volunteer medical service provider, I see a lot of girls, women, and men in the village. While I was taking a medical history of a 15 years old girl suffering from a kind of trauma she told me a story. Her parents were secretly arranging her marriage against her will. Then she managed to inform this to the local police station and finally she could stop her marriage. I saw fire in her eyes. This experience ignited me to fight for gender equality.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I have developed an organized team consisting of 10 young girls. I provide leadership training. They are being trained as local leaders who can travel around the village and provide basic knowledge and skills of health, hygiene, and sanitation for the girls and women. I am also making them aware of girls' rights. Whenever they find Eve teasing or child marriage, they go to the police station and inform me. Their activities are raising awareness of health and hygiene, as well as reducing the rate of Eve teasing and child marriage.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I enjoy reading, traveling, and sharing experiences.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Hindi (Intermediate)
- male engagement
- reproductive health
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Certificate of Participation for the blended e-learning Course on Digital Security Essentials by Information & Communication Technology Division, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2020)
- Certificate of Achievement for Annual Sports of Oxford International School (2011)
- Certificate of Excellence in GCE A Level Examinations by The Daily Star of Bangladesh (2011)
- 2nd Biochemistry Olympiad Certificate of Participation by University of Dhaka (2010)
- Certificate of Excellence in the GCE O Level Examinations by the Principal of Oxford International School, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2009)
- Certificate of Excellence for Outstanding Presentation in Bangladesh Studies by the Principal of Oxford International School, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2008)
- Certificate of Excellence for O Level Result by The Daily Star of Bangladesh and University of Cambridge