José (Francis) Tun
- Age: 25
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
Life is the process of growing, evolving, and becoming the best version of yourself. We, young leaders, will bring the change that the world is seeking. Working hand in hand will create a world with equal opportunities for all.
- José (Francis) Tun
José (Francis) Tun was born and raised in Belize. He is currently working toward an associate’s degree in tourism management at Sacred Heart Junior College. Francis is a volunteer at the Department of Youth Service, GoBelize Alumni, volunteer at Friends for Conservation and Development, volunteer at Cayo West Women’s in Business, and Friends of San Ignacio Benque Viejo Rotary Satellite Club member.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
My mother was my inspiration because she was a hardworking single parent who was looking for the resources to raise her children. During that time, she got involved in women's groups to learn crafts and skills to aid her in our survival. I grew up helping her.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
At a young age, I began to involve myself in workshops with my mom and expand my knowledge. Then I began to persuade my friends to join youth groups, and without knowing it, my influence grew enormously. Since I was accustomed to socializing with females, I easily convinced them to partake in our youth group. Since then the number of girls in our youth groups expanded and there were more female participants than males.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
I'm a seeker of constant excitement and fun. I love living life to the max and coming out of my comfort zone. Only by doing that one can grow, acquire new knowledge, and broaden their horizons. Playing chess to keep my critical and analytical thinking active is something I do weekly. I love Anime.
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Spanish (Advanced/Native)
- what it means to be an environmentalist
- taboos and machismo
- physiology and bioenergetics
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- GoBelize Alumni Association (GoJoven) Sexual Reproductive Health in Young People Diploma
- Environmental Agent of Change Certification from the Department of Youth Services
- Financial Literacy Certification from the Department of Youth Services and Saint Martins Credit Union
- Team Building and Leadership Certification from Friends for Conservation and Development (FCD)
- GoBelize Alumni Association (GoJoven) Friends for Conservation and Development Environmental Youth Group
- Youth Club Award of the Year in the Youth Awards by the Department of Youth Services (2019)