Hakiem Al-Fayed Lalmahomed
- Age: 25
- | He/him/his
Country of Origin:
Country of Residence:
We, the youth, must never forget that we have a unique power when we group together as one. The mightiest power is not financial power but political power in the hands of the youth. We should stand up and fight for the equal human rights we all deserve by using our voices and the pen.
- Hakiem Al-Fayed Lalmahomed
Hakiem Al-Fayed Lalmahomed was born and raised in Suriname. He is currently working towards an bachelor’s degree in medicine at The Anton De Kom University of Suriname. Hakiem is Founder of the youth-led organization called Vereniging Jongeren van Commewijne, member of the LGBT+ Platform in Suriname, Male-chairperson of the UNFPA Youth Advisory Group, member of the Progressive Reform Party, and Youth Parliamentarian of the National Youth Parliament of Suriname.
What ignited your pursuit for gender equality?
Experiencing various encounters and facing discrimination myself, I realized that if I don’t stand up for my rights, the rights of my mother and my sister, we won’t have a peaceful life. I want these to be the last ones I experience without standing up. We must protect us.
Please share your biggest wins as an advocate for gender equality.
I founded the blooming "Vereniging Jongeren van Commewijne" where I encourage girls and women to be part of this youth-led organization so they can grow to be amongst the greatest community leaders in Commewijne. I’m also the first young politician who has worn a rainbow sash on one of the biggest political manifestations in Suriname.
Outside of your gender equality advocacy work, what do you enjoy doing?
In my spare time I enjoy watching series like "Sex Education" on Netflix. I also enjoy doing research on various topics regarding my advocacy and education. I love food, reading some great books, and hanging out with my friends.
- Dutch (Advanced/Native)
- English (Advanced/Native)
- Sranan-Tongo (Intermediate)
- Javanese (Elementary)
- Mandarin (Elementary)
- Sarnami (Elementary)
- Spanish (Elementary)
- male engagement
- human rights
- youth political participation
Past Awards, Certifications, or Fellowships:
- Youth Advisory Group of the UNFPA Suriname Male Chairperson (2020-2022)
- Generation Equality Training from the UNFPA and UNICEF Suriname (2020)
- Conflict of Interest mini-course from Tulane University CITI program (2019)
- Biomedical Research investigators and key personnel from Tulane University CITI program (2019)
- Vereniging Jongeren van Commewijne Founder (2019)
- The Human Rights of the LGBT and MSM population from the Women Institute Suriname (2018)
- Progressive Reform Party (VHP) Youth Council member
- National Youth Parliament of Suriname Youth Parliamentarian (2017)
- Medical Student Council Chairperson (2017)
- Sustainable Development Goals Training by the United Nations Resident Coordinator Office