Associate, Humanitarian Advocacy
Location: New York City
Posted: March 2020
Priority Deadline: May 1, 2020 (rolling application review thereafter)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
Women Deliver champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women everywhere, including those in crisis settings. We elevate the voices of women, and the organizations they lead, to help ensure they have a seat at the decision-making table. At the same time, we help guide the humanitarian sector to deliver the strongest response for girls and women.
The Associate supports programming and logistical aspects of the Humanitarian Advocacy team. The Associate will report to the Senior Manager, Humanitarian Advocacy and will provide programmatic, research, event planning, and administrative support to the Humanitarian Advocacy team.
- Conducts research to inform Women Deliver’s advocacy strategies, stakeholder engagement, issue-specific projects, and incorporate research findings into messages and communications materials.
- Organizes advocacy outreach efforts including developing evidence-based policy briefs, presentations, advocacy statements, toolkits, talking points, responding to relevant advocacy moments with messages and materials, as well as support drafting grant proposals, and grant reports as necessary.
- Assists with developing and implementing strategic advocacy activities including, but not limited to, the Humanitarian Advocates Program, Women Deliver’s strategic partnerships with humanitarian agencies, the humanitarian components of the 2022 Women Deliver Conference, and other advocacy events around strategic calendar dates (e.g., UNGA, CSW, etc.).
- Assists with meeting and event planning (both domestic and international), including working with staff, consultants, and outside vendors to manage the full spectrum of meeting plans and travel logistics as needed.
- Supports production of a diverse range of advocacy and communications materials including infographics, presentations, op-eds, blogs, and social media content.
- Monitors and engages in issue-specific policy debates, as appropriate and relevant.
- Helps coordinate and implement trainings and webinars for partners.
- Organizes and attend meetings, briefings, conferences, coalition meetings, and other events on behalf of Women Deliver and develop meeting notes for team members.
- Leads on the Program Quality and Learning (PQL) needs for the humanitarian team, update progress towards the team’s indicators on a monthly basis.
- Provides day-to-day logistical support for the Humanitarian Advocates including: assisting with travel, visas, and arranging meetings.
- Organizes brown bag sessions to integrate humanitarian themes across all Women Deliver work streams, helps identify external speakers and support them (as needed) with presentation topics and logistics around sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, Education, and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required.
- 2-4 years of experience working on humanitarian response, gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights issues required.
- Experience supporting a team with a positive attitude and an eagerness to learn.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and affinity for project management.
- Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with diverse stakeholder groups, cultures and organizations to ensure productive partnerships.
- Ability to effectively work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and conduct work independently.
- Strong attention to detail and a track record of consistently delivering high-quality work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and resourcefulness in solving problems.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Word and Excel, familiarity with social media management platforms like Meltwater, and with Salesforce a plus.
- Experience with handling international travel and event-planning logistics a plus.
- Arabic and/or Spanish language skills a plus.
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally.