2017-2018 Internship Program
Location: New York City
Priority Deadline: Rolling (see below for details)
Women Deliver is a leading global advocacy organization. We build capacity, forge partnerships, create networks, develop messages and catalyze actions that spark political commitment and investment in the health, rights, and wellbeing of girls and women throughout the world. We bring together diverse voices and interests to share solutions and drive progress particularly in gender equality and maternal, sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Internship Program Summary:
- The Internship Program aligns with the academic calendar year beginning September, January or June for a period of 3-5 months; with the ability to extend as appropriate
- Interns are expected to work 2 days a week in the Women Deliver office between 10-20 hours per week at a rate of $15.00 per hour
- Women Deliver typically hosts a total of 3-6 interns per period across all program and functional teams and each are managed and mentored by an Associate or Senior Associate
- Internship opportunities are available for all or some of the following departments each period:
Policy and Advocacy Intern:
- Collects and synthesizes research for advocacy briefings and other materials.
- Drafts and proofreads materials.
- Assists with research and logistical tasks associated with the Deliver for Good Campaign, United Nations Events, and other events.
- Supports the advocacy team as they represent and contribute to Women Deliver’s networks, working groups, and speaking events.
- Supports the advocacy and communication teams’ overall efforts, specifically contributing to writing, editing, and posting blogs, as well as developing and disseminating social media messages.
- Special requirements: 1) Bachelor Degree preferred in policy, human rights, international relations or public health; and/or candidate of Master’s degree in these areas, 2) knowledge of advocacy and communications campaigns with emphasis in social media expertise.
Youth Engagement Intern:
- Helps track and manage Young Leader’s advocacy efforts and requests for support.
- Drafts and proofreads external (social media) and internal youth-related advocacy and communications materials.
- Collects and synthesizes research on youth-specific topics pertinent to gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and meaningful youth engagement in order to develop internal memos, policy briefs, and talking points.
- Assists with research and organizing participation associated with national, regional, and international events for Women Deliver youth team staff and youth representatives.
- Supports the youth team as they represent and contribute to Women Deliver’s youth networks, working groups, and speaking events as needed.
- Special requirements: 1) Experience working with diverse cultures and/or youth -led or youth-serving projects preferred, 2) General knowledge of or specific interest in advocacy and communication campaigns
Communications (Digital or Design) Intern:
- Draft, edit, and post content to the Women Deliver website.
- Proofread editorial content, newsletters, press releases, reports, educational resources, and other publications.
- Monitor news coverage and flag relevant stories in the gender equality, reproductive rights, and other related fields to share or comment on.
- Assist in media list building, story development, and pitching.
- Assist in upkeep of Women Deliver’s social media platforms, including drafting tweets, developing content calendars, and scheduling posts.
- Special requirements: 1) Bachelor Degree preferred in communications, digital design or marketing, 2) experience with HMTL, email marketing and CMS systems – WordPress & Drupal a plus, 3) experience with social media & media management systems – Cision & Meltwater a plus, 4) proficiency in Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator a plus
Internship Program Hiring Process & Timeline:
- Application Materials:
- Please include your cover letter, resume, relevant writing sample and 3 references (contact information only)
- Please indicate clearly in the subject line and in your cover letter:
- Application Period: September 2017, January 2018 or June 2018
- Internship Position: 1st choice & 2nd choice (if applicable): Policy & Advocacy, Youth Engagement or Communications
- Interview Process:
- 15 min phone screen with Talent Advisor
- 45 min panel interview via Skype with Intern Hiring Committee
- 30 min in-person or Skype interview with Department Director
- Reference Check
(dates may vary upon mutual agreement)
|Applications Review & Interview Period||Decisions Made & Communicated By|
|Fall: mid Sept – mid Dec 2017||August 2017||August 31, 2017|
|Winter/Spring: early Jan – late May 2018||November 2017||November 30, 2017|
|Summer: early June – mid Aug 2018||April 2018||April 30, 2018|
General Qualifications for the Internship Program:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, candidate for Master’s Degree, a plus.
- An understanding and/or demonstrated interest in gender equality and girls’ and women’s health, rights, and wellbeing – with a particular emphasis on the global maternal, sexual, and reproductive health and rights landscape.
- Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Open mind and good sense of humor, a collaborative team player, and ability to work well in a bustling high-energy open-space office.
- Ability to work in the Women Deliver office 2 days per week (and develop a consistent and agreed upon schedule with Women Deliver).
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.